Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Technical Tips and Tactical Bits
 Best copper solvent?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

morten
Administrator

Norway
630 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2003 :  21:23:42  Show Profile  Visit morten's Homepage  Click to see morten's MSN Messenger address Send morten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is your experience with these barrel solvents?
For the last years I have used the Forrest Bore Cleaning Foam, but now Iím almost out and would like to try something else. Hoppes Benchrest, Otis Bore Cleaning? Any suggestion?

Morten

Allen Foraker
Average Member

USA
128 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  00:13:58  Show Profile Send Allen Foraker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now you've done it!!!

Allen

Good judgement comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!
Go to Top of Page

ebb

USA
71 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  05:12:39  Show Profile Send ebb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive used shooters choice, hoppes br, barnes cr10, and bore tech. Bore Tech is the winner by far. Ebb
Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
2946 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  05:54:50  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Hoppe's Bench Rest...it does good job of removing the copper fouling and doesn't assault the nasal passages like Shooters Choice or Sweets 7.62...

Curly
Go to Top of Page

BlueMoon
Average Member

USA
162 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  06:12:24  Show Profile Send BlueMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For copper, I'm using Sweets on heavy fouling, CR 10 for semi-heavy, and Butch's Bore Shine for light or average jkt fouling. You can't leave the first two in the bore all night but you can Butch's I think, if you want to. All have that amonia smell. BM
Go to Top of Page

al3858

USA
53 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2003 :  07:36:17  Show Profile  Visit al3858's Homepage Send al3858 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used Hoppes powder and their copper solvent, Sweets, Bore Tech, BBS, J-B, CR10... well let me just say that the shelf above my cleaning bench looks more like a womans' shampoo and conditioner shelf in the bathroom. They all work to a degree... those that do so less, end up collecting dust.

What works for me is Butchs Bore Shine, Iosso and Kroil on hand-lapped barrels. For really rough tubes I alternate Kroil, J-B cleaner (www.sinclairintl.com) and Sweets. Maybe even getting the bore plug out and filling the tube full of Hoppes BR to soak over night.

And then there is always home mix for powder only...
Eds Red:
1 Part Dexron ATF
1 Part Kerosene-K1
1 Part Aliphatic Mineal Spirits
1 Part Acetone

Rob

In school you get the lesson and then the test,

...in life you get the test then the lesson.

Edited by - al3858 on Dec 09 2003 07:51:35
Go to Top of Page

Allen Foraker
Average Member

USA
128 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2003 :  01:43:06  Show Profile Send Allen Foraker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer your question exactly (The Best Copper Solvent), chemically is hydrofloric acid. But that is not feasible. Lots of other acids will also work quickly, but again, they are not feasible either (just being a smart-a##). If you have/can purchase undiluted ammonia, you would be doing good, but I think the strongest a common person can buy is 38%.

I personally use Butch's Bore Shine for everyday cleaning. When I get ready to put a gun away for a season, after the Butch's, I swab out the bore with rubbing alcohol to nulify any chemical residue contained in the Butch's, and finish up with Sweets. I have noticed that when Butch's finaly quits working, Sweets always gives a little more green color with white patches. There are times when I was in a hurry that I did not use the rubbing alcohol between the different chemicals, and after using the sweets, the brass on my rods turned black!! If the mix of chemicals can cause that much oxidation on brass, think of what it does on barrel steel! DON'T MIX CHEMICALS!!!

Allen

Good judgement comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!
Go to Top of Page

thwack
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2003 :  02:25:21  Show Profile Send thwack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I also use Ed's Red Bore Cleaner. This is cheap and effective. This bore cleaner will clean out the crud and carbon. I then switch over to regular household ammonia to strip out the copper fouling.

The ammonia will sit inside barrel for approx 10 minutes. Then more ammonia is applied to clean patches and run throught the barrel until there is no more green/blue coloring. The bore is then dried with clean patches and a few more patches of ed's red bore cleaner to neutralize (just in case).

This leaves it real clean. Try it out.
Go to Top of Page

300grains

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2003 :  01:39:38  Show Profile Send 300grains a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Using Brnes cr 10, find it really good.
Go to Top of Page

Jim n Iowa
Average Member

USA
78 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2003 :  01:48:09  Show Profile Send Jim n Iowa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know every one states don't leave sweets in after the application very long. Well I went into a local gun shop I knew well and the owner and I were discussing my one time very accurate Parker-Hale 243 that now was all over the board. He related to me on his recent hunting trip where his 300 mag was grouping really bad, and his guide asked him if he had ever properly cleaned it. The end result to this long thread he was told to put Sweets through the barrel several times, leave it over night and clean. Worked great, I tried the same and when I came home from work and sent a patch down the barrel, a wire like copper stuff came out. I check for copper now but that rifle still shoots as good as I first tried her out.
Jim
Go to Top of Page

tuck2

39 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2003 :  15:08:07  Show Profile Send tuck2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gun Owner'sBook By Roy Dunlap page 18 lists a copper remover that works .27% strong ammonia 6 Oz. ,ammonium persulphate 1 Oz. ,ammonium carbonate 200Grains ,distilled water 4 Oz. Must be mixed and stored in glass container. If you drop a penney in this stuff you can see it eat away the copper. Use in a ventelated area. Plug the barrel ,pour the stuff in, let set for 10 Min.Pour out then flush barrel with hot water. Remove barreled action from stock befor using using this copper remover. I use this stuff when I,v purchased used rifles to make certain its clean.
Go to Top of Page

Red_SC

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2004 :  19:59:29  Show Profile Send Red_SC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Sweet's, but a lot of people are swearing by Montana Extreme. I'm gonna try it soon.
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Advanced Member

USA
1613 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2004 :  21:03:02  Show Profile Send Robert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cream of Wheat. Have any of you guys tried this. I have heard people swear that it works miracles, however I have heard people say they wouldn't try it in a bottle-neck case. I have heard of pretty amazing results for straight-wall cases, also that our Confederate friends get good results with grits and corn meal. This is not an attempt at being humorous. People are saying this really works. I intend to try it in my 45 Colt.

Make it count.
www.graybeardoutdoors.com
Go to Top of Page

BlueMoon
Average Member

USA
162 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2004 :  03:05:26  Show Profile Send BlueMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robert, Do you mean use cream of wheat for a cleaner or filler?
I've heard people talk about using it for a case filler with reduced loads but never heard it cleaned anything. I've only used dacron pillow stuffing for filler but seems I've read the cream of wheat might burn and leave a little residue in your barrel or the fellows using cotton setting the dead grass on fire in front of them. BM
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Advanced Member

USA
1613 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2004 :  03:42:12  Show Profile Send Robert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, they claim it scrubs the bore if you use it for filler.

Make it count.
www.graybeardoutdoors.com
Go to Top of Page

Jim n Iowa
Average Member

USA
78 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2004 :  02:41:48  Show Profile Send Jim n Iowa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Red SC
I have tried Montana Extreme, and found it not as powerful as Sweets. If one was to use its as a regular solvent as a Hoppes, or butch's It would probably keep the copper down more. When it comes to copper removal I will stay with Sweets followed by a Alcohol swab, then patches of Kroil. Works for me.
Jim
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06