Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 115Gr with more punch than 150 in .270 win ??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brad6260
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  16:57:31  Show Profile Send Brad6260 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pal who I consider a no B.S. kinda guy manages a very large farm and game program. He see's over 125 deer taken off the farm every season and is claiming that he is consistently seeing better knock down results from a .270win shooting a 115gr. std load than from the heavier 140-150 loads. He also claims that there is data in print to back this up. We're talking under 150yd shots in wooded terrain.

I am a ballistics's novice so I would be interested in any informed opinions.

Thanks,
Brad

curly

Canada
3014 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  17:55:48  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay Brad, there are plenty of .270 Win shooters here at the "Nest".....We are going to need a whole bunch of information to form any kind of opinion on this finding of yours/his....As in bullet make and style, muzzle velocities, size of deer.....etc....

You mention a "standard load" of 115 grains in the .270...please explain this....

For what its worth, in most cases, a faster moving bullet expands more rapidly on impact than a slower moving projectile...Resulting in a quicker kill due to shock and energy transfer...

A 115 grain bullet is considered light in weight for the .277 caliber....and loaded to potential in the .270 Win would produce very high muzzle velocities....requiring the bullet being used to be of controlled expansion design to avoid blow up on impact with a deer at close range....

Curly

Go to Top of Page

Brad6260
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  18:24:14  Show Profile Send Brad6260 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curly,

Thanks for the reply.

I know the fella's were talking remington loads so it must be one of these.

R270W1 Remington® Express® 100 Pointed Soft Point 9 1/2 0.252

RL270W2 Remington® Managed Recoil® 115 Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt® 9 1/2 0.295
Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
3014 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  19:37:57  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There may be a very simple answer to your query....give ten average hunters/shooters a rifle producing less than 15 pounds of recoil and ten more hunters given rifles producing 20+ pounds of recoil and see who shoots better.....This phenomenon is nothing more than accurate bullet placement versus less than perfect hits...been noted with everything from the .243 , .257 Roberts, 250 Savage, 7mm-08 and so on....

"Managed Recoil"....with 115 grains in a .270....Hey, if I wanted to shoot a load equal to the 257 Roberts, I would go out and buy a .257 Roberts.....enough said..??

Curly
Go to Top of Page

MIKESBARRO
Advanced Member

USA
2850 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  19:58:36  Show Profile Send MIKESBARRO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Totally agree with Curly here. I've killed plenty of whitetails with both ends of the velocity/weight spectrum with what are considered typical hunting weight bullets in my .270. I started off using 150 gr round nose corelokt bullets. Most of the hunting I did was in the woods in PA where anything shot over 100 yards was unusual. They did a nice job, but didn't "knock them silly". A typical double-lung or heart shot resulted in the 50-150 yard "death run". Most of PA is pretty heavily hunted and, especially on the first day, a running deer could mean a lost deer. I switched to the 130 gr bronze point. These things really knock the snot out of them. The hydrostatic shock to the whole system is what "knocks them down". I don't really know if they die any quicker, but the shock certainly puts them down quicker. One thing to remember...dead is dead. It all comes down to what works best for you.
Go to Top of Page

Steve S

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  20:44:44  Show Profile Send Steve S a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't shot a 270 in a number of years but I can make one observaton from my experiences. For about 5 years I shot a rifle in 7mm Rem mag. and killed a lot of deer. I built a 25-06 and loaded 117 grain bulets in it and guess what? I have just as many one shot, dead right there dramatic kills with the 25 as I did with the 7. I think alot can be said for velocity and a good bullet. I do feel I shoot alot more accurately with alot less kick and that boosts confidence and helps me to have a good form as well. My 2 cents.. Steve
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3316 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  12:53:42  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My .270 experiences are very long and extremely thin. Two Mule Deer and one coyote about 30 some odd years ago. The coyote was a disaster as it ended up being a two piece kill. Bullet was factory 130 gr, but I forget which. I'd guess Winchester. The first Mule Deer I didn't lead quite enough and it was a gut shot. Deer dropped like a rock and was deed when I reached it. Awful mess to clean up too as a lot of the insides was now mush. The last deer was a neck shot breaking the spinal chord. Bang/flop DRT.
I was planning to use a .270 I just bought for my deer hunt this year, but my right kneee that I trashed about four years ago started acting up and walking was too painful, so the hunt didn't come off. It was still bad, so the elk hunt went down the crapper as well.
If one has a bad knee and small dogs, just hope they don't get tangled up in your feet. Doesn't do the knee much good when you have to try and keep from falling on the dog and crushing it. Oh weel. There's always next year. All I have to do is draw the tags and try to not stop on dogs.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page

beemanbeme
Advanced Member

USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  12:04:26  Show Profile Send beemanbeme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All this really proves is that it doesn't really take much to kill a whitetail deer. Given any near proper bullet placement.
Sorry, armchair ballistics aside, I'll go to my grave before I believe a 115/.270 will out perform a 150/.270 with the possible exception of on ground hogs.

John
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06