Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Bullet
 Big game hunting
 Nosler Accubond Vs. Hornady Interbond...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

curly

Canada
3026 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2007 :  00:01:12  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A year or two ago, I posted a thread on the comparison of the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet vs. the new Hornady SST bullet...I noted my findings when comparing the two offerings in the usual categories of accuracy, on-game performance, reliability, and price...

Now the two bullet makers have squared off again with their new line of bonded core bullets..(If anyone out there thinks these two manufacturers aren't going toe to toe...think again).....To be totally honest (a first, I know)...I have yet to lay down the dollars for either of these two proprietary bullets....So I would appreciate hearing from anyone here at the "nest" who has used either or both of these new line of bullets.....The same criteria....accuracy, performance on big game, especially if the bullets used are of the same weight in the same caliber....such as the 225 grain bullets in .338 caliber...

Thank you in advance for your assistance...

Curly

CR
Advanced Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2007 :  16:53:00  Show Profile Send CR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curly, I switched from the 165SST to the 165 Interbond before last deer season. I posted one of the shots under bullet performance. I love the Interbond. Unless it fails me in the future it is my deer hunting bullet for .300winmag velocities. My load changed .2 grains from the 165SST. I had a jacket separation with one of the SST's at 3300fps so thus the urge to try the Interbond, plus I didn't like the cannalure on the SST not matching my seating depth. Accuracy seems as good as with any hunting bullet I've tried. However I do plan to stay with the 95SST in the .243 for now.
There is also the fact that you pointed out in another thread, Nosler only sells the Accubond in boxes of fifty and they cost more. When I picked up my first box of Interbonds they were only five bucks more than the SST. They are now ten bucks more but still five bucks less than one hundred Accubonds at the local purveyor of powder and lead. Of course five bucks is chicken feed in the grand scheme of things if it goes where you want it to go and does what you want it to do..CR

"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4-wheel drive and a country boy can survive"
Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  10:05:50  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curly, I've been using the 200 gr Accubond in my .300 RUM for 4 years now. My load chronys at 3200 fps. 2 and 1/2 inches high at 100 goes 22 inches low at 500. My rifle will print 1/2 inch groups at 100. I have hunted and taken bear, deer, elk, and antelope at close ranges and a couple animals at fairly far ranges. No problems so far. I have only recovered one bullet, but have seemed to have lost it. A friend of mune uses the Accubond in 160 gr 7mm mag with similar accuracy and results. As far as cost, I don't pay much attention to it. In my case, with a high velocity cartridge, a stoutly constructed bullet is required. Off subject, but using bullets not suited for them is why some people get bad results with high velocity hunting rounds. mtmuley
Go to Top of Page

NTM

Canada
389 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  14:03:35  Show Profile Send NTM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the 160, 200 & 225 accubond in my 7mm ultra, 300 ultra and 338 win mag. They offer great accuracy, a higer BC than the partition and have worked great on all the game that I have taken with them. I have yet to recover one though so I can't comment on weight retention.

Hunting isn't a matter of life and death.....it's more important than that.
Go to Top of Page

woods
Advanced Member

USA
2014 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  20:56:56  Show Profile Send woods a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey curly

The Accubond and the Interbond are really like comparing oranges and tangerines. The Accubond is made to shed about 30 to 35% of it lead in the tip and then the petal fold down around the shank so it can keep going much like the Partition. The Interbond is made to hold on to all that lead and mushroom and is comparable to the Swift A-Frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Scirrocco and the Northfork.

The Accubond is more accurate than the Partition IME. On the few deer I have shot with the 200 gr Accubond in the 30-06, it does an admirable job.

I have not tried the Interbond, perhaps others could speak about it's accuracy and game performance. I do have a good friend who uses them and loves the way they knock the hell out of game.
Go to Top of Page

338User

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  23:16:58  Show Profile Send 338User a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Curly, I have used Nosler's 225gn accubond and it is a great bullet, very accurate. One recovered sample that bashed its way through a lot of bone (spine & pelvis) and was recovered from under the skin at the brisket of a large Kangaroo (shot from directly behind at about 90 yards)still weighed 129gn. The animal was dropped and killed instantly. I have also recovered a Hornady SST from a wild pig, shot in the pelvis, and recovered from under the skin the middle of the chest on the opposite side (typical quartering away shot), and that weighed 125gn, again an instant drop (shot at 50 yards)and the animal had expired by the time I reached it to finish it off. That is great performance from a non bonded bullet. According to the Hornady people (I emailed and asked them about the difference between interbond and SST), the SST is supposed to open up faster, while the interbond is supposed to hold together for greater penetration. Interbonds are not as accurate as accubonds in my rifle, but still perfectly adequate, and I have quite a few loaded up waiting for an opportunity to hunt something with them. I expect they will perform well. I will keep you posted.

338User
Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
3026 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  10:40:37  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should have grabbed that box of 225 grain Hornady Interbonds when I was in Cabela's in Grand Forks, ND....The price was $45.00 US for the box of 100....I tried to pick up a box here in Kanadastan yesterday and scored a goose egg....

So I decided to take the advice of all you Accubond users out there in cyberspace and picked up a box of 50 of the 225 grainers for $42.00 Canadian....I hope they shoot as pretty as they look...

I wouldn't mind hearing what you guys have as a "pet load" for this pill in the .338 Win Mag...

Thanks, Curly
Go to Top of Page

woods
Advanced Member

USA
2014 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  11:05:42  Show Profile Send woods a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Curly

72.5 gr RL19. That is Max load in the Nosler #5 manual with a listed velocity of 2832 fps. I don't get that much velocity, only about 2750 fps. 73 grains of RL19 is listed as max in Alliant's data but RL19 has always seemed to be slower than book data for me.

An interesting thing happened using this load a couple of weeks ago. I was testing with new cases to see if seating against the lands (not jammed, exactly on the lands) would move the shoulder farther forward than a load with the bullet seated .020" off the lands

Now I measure distance to lands by 3 different measuring devices and check it with each device 3 times until I feel confident I know where the lands are, these bullets were not jammed, just snug into the lands. Also used the Bersin tool afterwards to get rid of most of the runout. New cases have a lot of runout.

I plan to shoot some more loads tight against the lands in new cases and some in PFLR'ed cases as soon as the temperature drops below 100 degrees or we get some kind of breeze.

I have run higher loads of RL19 and gotten excellent results but I had a case head separation after 6 reloadings so I dropped it back down to listed levels. Did not gain that much velocity anyway, but it sure did shoot good

Edited by - woods on Aug 12 2007 11:09:19
Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
3026 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  18:10:17  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 3 powders on my bench shelf I plan to work with for the 225 grain Accubond...IMR4350, RL-19, and the Norma MRP I received courtesy of Bill in Minot, ND. The Hornady #3 reloading manual makes mention of IMR4350 and Norma MRP as giving the best results for accuracy and velocities...The Hornady #4 manual shows RL-19 and IMR4831 as best in the 338 Win Mag...

What I want is a bear/elk/moose load shooting the 225 grain bonded core bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps with groups holding to the 1 inch mark at 100 yards...The Accubond and Interbond are sleek looking bullets with some very respectable ballistic coefficients, so I figure if I sight in for 2 inches high at 100 yards, I will have an elk and moose getter out to say an honest 300 yards...

At least that is the plan...

Curly
Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  22:51:44  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
curly, I have used it in my RUM on deer, elk, antelope and bear. No problems. Dead critters. mtmuley
Go to Top of Page

338User

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  07:33:43  Show Profile Send 338User a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Curly, With the 225 gn Accubond, I use 73gn AR2209 in Norma cases with Fed 215 primers for 2780 fps in my Ruger M77, with the bullet seated just a shade of the lands. It usually groups into 1.2 MOA for 5 shots, which is as good as my rifle would do. AR2209 is similar to H4350. Take care to work up from 4-5 gn below. I am sure a new barrel will produce better velocity mine was old when I worked this load up and I noticed that velocity had dropped off a bit for earlier loads.

338User

Edited by - 338User on Aug 13 2007 07:35:06
Go to Top of Page

NTM

Canada
389 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  13:38:46  Show Profile Send NTM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curly

I run the same load as woods. I've tried rl19, rl22, imr4350, h4831. I got the best results with rl19 and rl22.

Hunting isn't a matter of life and death.....it's more important than that.
Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
3026 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  16:11:07  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.....I noticed in the RifleLoads data base some loads resulted in sub MOA groups with this bullet....

Kelly, have you started working up loads with the 210 grain Scirrocco's as of yet...??

Curly
Go to Top of Page

skyline
Advanced Member

Canada
2807 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  16:37:48  Show Profile Send skyline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curly no I have not. At this point I will not have time until mid Sept. I will loaded with 4 or 5 initial loads, but will not get to shoot them until then. I am just starting to bait for the fall bear hunts and guide starting August 27th. Once fall bear is over I will have time to blast away until some archery deer hunts, then a bit more time in early October.

Don't worry I will let you know. Wendy is anxious to try them and see how they shoot. I will keep those strictly for her .338 Win. Mag. and I am going to try the 225 Accubonds in my .340.

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  22:29:05  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do you suppose Swift hasn't made the Scirrocco in 200 grain .308? I'd love to try it. mtmuley
Go to Top of Page

curly

Canada
3026 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  23:09:38  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dale S; You mentioned you have taken bear with the 200 Accubond in your 300 RUM....what was the distance and what type of wound channel did the bullet produce..?? Just wondering....Thanks

Curly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06