Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 222 Remington Load
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hunterjoe21
Average Member

USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  10:52:37  Show Profile Send hunterjoe21 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone worked up a load for .222 Remington with a 50gr Nosler Ballistic tip and either Varget or IMR 4895? I know these aren't ideal powders for this caliber, but the brother-in-law wants to work on some lods using powders we already have, and I can't find any starting load data anywhere.

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  22:49:03  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not what you are looking for, but my .222 loves 40 gr Ballistic Tips with IMR 4198. RL 10x showed some promise also. I tend to use the 40 gr bullet to gain velocity, but got lucky when it shot so well. I have records on 50 gr bullets, and will check them and report. I recently moved so am unorganized as of yet. mtmuley
Go to Top of Page

hunterjoe21
Average Member

USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  11:45:01  Show Profile Send hunterjoe21 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help!

I do have some 40 gr BT's left over that my 22-250 didn't seem to like. I'm gonna load some of them in the 222 also.

I went back to nosler.com and found a load there using 50 gr BT's over a 22.5 gr starting load of IMR 4895 (24.5 gr max).

I also did a search on another site and found one load of 24.5 gr Varget pushing a 5o gr BT, so I'm gonna reduce that load and start @ 22 gr.

Thanks again for the help, and no hurry on locating those records!
Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  22:20:55  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hunterjoe21, Seems like you found out what I did. The data you found is about exactly what I have for IMR 4895. I don't have any info for Varget. My rifle is a Remington 788. It was an economicaly priced rifle sold in the late 70's and early 80's. Probably the most accurate rifle I own. What are you shooting? mtmuley
Go to Top of Page

Mavrick

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  17:23:36  Show Profile Send Mavrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used up to 25.3 gr of Varget with the 50 gr BT, and it is a compressed load. You might be able wiggle a little more in, but why try? The velocity was 3030fps from my 24" barrel, on a Remington 700V.
Groups weren't too bad...in the .75 moa range. I have a 32X on the gun, but it is a varmint rifle, not a bench gun. It helps me enjoy the Richardson squirrel(picket pins)
I prefer a little more velocity if I can keep the accuracy. I've used Exterminator and Accurate #2015 with good results, tho' Ball C #2 is my all-time favorite.
I used CCI 400's in the above load, but use most of the others with good results. I'm having some trouble getting R/P 7 1/2's right now, and they're the primer of choice when I want to make small holes.
Good luck and have fun,
Gene(Mavrick)
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang
Advanced Member

3359 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  22:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage Send Wolfgang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a Savage 24V and a BSA bolt, both liked IMR-4320 but I can't recall the loads. I used the 50gr Sierra soft points for a lot of years then switched to the 50gr Speer TNT's. I could never get 40gr bullets to shoot as good as the 50gr in either of my rifles. I know this isn't helping for what you're asking but I'd start with a load that will put you around 2950 fps and work up slowly from there. Both of mine topped out on accuracy just under 3000 fps.

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."
Harry S. Truman
mark@fire-iron.biz
Go to Top of Page

hunterjoe21
Average Member

USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  21:24:17  Show Profile Send hunterjoe21 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mtmuley

hunterjoe21, Seems like you found out what I did. The data you found is about exactly what I have for IMR 4895. I don't have any info for Varget. My rifle is a Remington 788. It was an economicaly priced rifle sold in the late 70's and early 80's. Probably the most accurate rifle I own. What are you shooting? mtmuley

These loads are for the brother-in-laws Savage, but I'm not sure what model. It used to be fairly accurate with factory ammo, but it's suddenly developed some "issues". A replacement trigger is on order, and with some handloads we're gonna get it back to sub .5 groups. Hoping the barrel isn't shot out (he's had it since he was a kid, and killed lotsa stuff with it over the years)
Go to Top of Page

hunterjoe21
Average Member

USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  21:31:15  Show Profile Send hunterjoe21 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the great info guys!

Maverick,

I was loading 23.5 gr Varget the other day and was wondering how the heck I would get any more in there (if needed)! At least now I know it CAN be done. This also is a hunting rifle, so one hole groups are not expected.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06