Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Bullet
 Varmint
 Please Help! Need .243 Coyote Loads
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

macpoon69
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2003 :  00:12:45  Show Profile Send macpoon69 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please Help! I am in desperate need of a good coyote load for my .243. I am shooting a Ruger M77 Mark II Standard with a 22" barrel. I don't want to tear up the pelts, so if anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Jim n Iowa
Average Member

USA
78 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2003 :  01:47:39  Show Profile Send Jim n Iowa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shoot a 243 for coyotes, but never worry about the pelt. You need to look into fmj bullets. Hornady makes a 80grn, load near max from their manual, depending on the placement should exit small hole, and may not put it down for a while. I have no experience with hard cast bullets but they should work as fur friendly.
Jim
Go to Top of Page

longshot

USA
61 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2003 :  08:37:38  Show Profile Send longshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never tried this but you might want to experiment with a super frangible bullet like the hornady sxsp, or speer tnt in 70 grains. They may completely disintegrate without exiting. These bullets perform this way in my .223 so this may work for you. The worst that can happen is it will fail. I would shoot them around 3,000 fps. Really though if you are looking to save pelts I would'nt be using a .243. A .22 long rifle would be better if you are able to put the bullet in the right place, or a .223 if you have one. A 22 long rifle will make two holes. In and out, but you risk only wounding the animal. A .22 mag is a very good choice if you have one. Stops yotes dead!

Robert

If its accurate shoot it.
Go to Top of Page

pireaux059
Average Member

USA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2003 :  13:32:04  Show Profile  Send pireaux059 a Yahoo! Message Send pireaux059 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
load a light fragile bthp as fast as you can safely & accurately get it. I use a sierra 52g bthp in 22-250 good out to past 500 yds has never exited & id deadly on yotes. for the 243 I would try the 60 gr bullet should be a death ray....
Go to Top of Page

SWABBY56
Advanced Member

USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2004 :  20:45:43  Show Profile Send SWABBY56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have used a round for whitetails that is a little light but does the job with a well placed shot. i have never had a deer run away.
a 70 gr nosler ballistic tip pushed by 42 grains of varget .010 off of the grooves. i shoot sub 1/2 moa at one hundred yards with this round out of a savage 243 with a 22 inch barrel. it should have a more drastic effect on a smaller animal like the coyote.

good luck. swabby 56
Go to Top of Page

CR
Advanced Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2004 :  00:02:44  Show Profile Send CR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hornady 65 grain v-max will generaly not make an exit wound.If you hit the shoulder socket it may make a large entry wound though. A well placed lung shot will roll 'em without much damage. 41.7 grains of varget. A guy I work with shot a gopher with the 55 grain v-max. Hit it in the front tooth and no exit wound. CR
Go to Top of Page

thumbuster

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2004 :  02:29:19  Show Profile Send thumbuster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys, I just have to add my 2 cents worth. I am loading 40gr V-Max bullets in my 22-250 and clocking them at 4100fps. This will make a small entrance hole and NO exit. The inside of the pelt on the far side looks like someone threw pepper at it but does not detract from it's value. Give the fur buyers a hard time on this cuz it really doesn't hurt the pelt but knocks the *hit out of yotes here in Maine.

KEEP YER POWDER DRY
Go to Top of Page

crowderdog
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2004 :  02:16:38  Show Profile Send crowderdog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am new to the group and this is my first post. I agree with the notion of using a thin jacketed, highly frangible bullet in your .243. I personally shoot coyotes with a 6mm Rem. and my brother shoots a .243. We use the same bullet a 58gr V-MAX traveling about 3400 fps. We've collectively killed 34 coyotes this year and had serious pelt damage on 3. These pelts were damaged on shots around 200 yards. Over or under 200 yards we experienced no pelt damage. Keep in mind our Indiana coyotes weigh around 20-35 lbs and if you intend to take a fox with your .243, damage will be so severe you'll likely not have a sellable pelt. Good luck and happy huntin'.
Go to Top of Page

TONK
Average Member

USA
145 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2004 :  10:57:45  Show Profile Send TONK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Macpoon69.......You need to head shoot those yotes!
If your concerned about pelt damage, then I would by all means go to a bullet that is NOT as explosive. The only thing I can tell you is the Barnes X or XLC bullet. It will however make 2 holes in the pelt, an entry and exist hole. They are very small in most cases using the 85 grain XLC (blue coated bullet) boatail bullet. You might want to drop your velocities down a notch or two for the sake of pelt damage.

America Is Free. Thanks To Our VETS....Amen!!!
Go to Top of Page

TONK
Average Member

USA
145 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2004 :  11:04:36  Show Profile Send TONK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Macpoon69.....You are really limited to what your trying to accomplish with a .243! (Save Pelts from damage) You best bet is to get another caliber rifle, if you NOT satisfied with the results of trying a few different bullets in your present rifle.

I used for fox and coyote years back (Pelts were higher dollar) a .222 with a 50 grain bullet going at 2800fps. I didn't set any velocity records with this load but it sure helped on the hides a bunch.

America Is Free. Thanks To Our VETS....Amen!!!
Go to Top of Page

calsibley
Advanced Member

Canada
598 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  14:48:33  Show Profile Send calsibley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the Sierra 85gr. HPBT. Usually it makes a good, clean kill, unless you strike a larger bone then it'll fragment to all hell creating quite a mess. Most bullets will do this. The Nosler 70gr. Bal.Tip has also served me well in .243Win. It might be a bit better than the Sierra. This is a difficult topic as we can't tell exactly where we'll hit the critter. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley
Go to Top of Page

Dennis81082
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  10:58:27  Show Profile Send Dennis81082 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started using Hornady 75gr HP's last winter and am very pleased with the results. I will use them again this season. I took 7 or 8 coyotes with a Howa 1500 and only one had a baseball size hole from a spine hit. The rest didn't exit. Shot from 25yds to 125yds and it will put them down.
Go to Top of Page

aj3156

USA
480 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  14:40:49  Show Profile Send aj3156 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try 50.0 gr H414 w/Winchester brass and Winchester large rifle primer with a 55 gr. NBT. No exit wound.
Go to Top of Page

langenc

USA
42 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  13:12:07  Show Profile Send langenc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shot one Mon am just after I shot a deer with Rem 80 gr PSPCL and both never moved. 3100 fps but Id have to run out to the truck for the powder/quantity.

22 Chuck
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2578 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  21:44:58  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Macpoon 69

Report back to Base. You've been out in the woods for five years now!!! Where's the results?

Sincerely,

Bobo 7mm Mag
Go to Top of Page

aj3156

USA
480 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  12:04:23  Show Profile Send aj3156 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm telling you guys H414 and 55gr NBT is THE .243 varmint load. You gotta try it. Super accurate and fast.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06