Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 IMR 4007 SSC, 300 WSM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

big squeeze

USA
356 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  16:47:50  Show Profile Send big squeeze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried using IMR 4007 SSC powder for your 300 WSM? From what I`m reading, the burn rate for 4007 falls in between IMR 4064 and IMR 4350.........Also, from what I`ve read, velocities similiar to the slower burners, ie. Rel #19 can be achieved while using about 10 gr. less powder than Rel #19 and get a reported better accuracy at the same time.......A review posted on another site by a 300 WSM owner says, that his group results using 4007 are better than his previous 4350 & 4831 results. As of yet, there are no 4007 loads posted in the rifle section on this site for the 300 WSM.....Hodgdon however on their site, does post some data for the 300 WSM......Has anyone used IMR 4350 or 4831 then tried IMR 4007 with better results?...............

big squeeze

USA
356 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  22:05:05  Show Profile Send big squeeze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost 60 reads at this point, with no replies? It looks like no one is reloading 4007 for their 300 WSM`s?? I just may have to be the guinea pig here with this one?
Go to Top of Page

Kansas Ed
Advanced Member

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  23:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Kansas Ed's Homepage Send Kansas Ed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK... stop it already...I have a NIB .300 WSM Model 70 Supergrade that I have managed to refrain from shooting for the first time and I've had it almost 2 years now...you are really making me want to mount a scope on it and order brass....

Ed

Are we there yet???
Go to Top of Page

big squeeze

USA
356 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  23:43:33  Show Profile Send big squeeze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kansas Ed.............OK! I have to ask. Why have you not used your 300 WSM? NIB for two years??? Great shelf decoration? Possibly worth more unfired?.........Since I already have a 300, I won`t make you an offer to buy yours! However, if I did and you accepted, I`d put that rifle to good use within a few days,,,guaranteed!!!!!!....C`mon Kansas, take that rifle out and use it!
Go to Top of Page

NTM

Canada
389 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  13:29:10  Show Profile Send NTM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've tried 4831, 4350, 4064 rl19 and rl22 with both 150 and 180 accubonds. The best was by far the 4350 in both 150 and 180. The 4064 was ok in the 150. If you try the 4007 let us know how it works. If I keep my wsm I may have to give the 4007 a try if it works out for you.

Hunting isn't a matter of life and death.....it's more important than that.

Edited by - NTM on Oct 18 2007 13:34:43
Go to Top of Page

big squeeze

USA
356 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  17:00:11  Show Profile Send big squeeze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NTM...............The review on another site that I mentioned earlier says that all his groups from 57 grains all the way to 60 grains consistently had all the holes touching each other using 4007. That`s why I started this thread, to see if anyone else had similiar results........... Since the 4007 falls between 4064 and 4350, it may just work better or burn more efficiently in my shorter 16.5" barrel......I may lose a little bit in velocity, but I may gain in the accuracy dept. The RL19 & IMR 4350 which I`m using now gives me wonderful velocities and 1.2" and less for groups; great for hunting! Now, I want to fine tune some range loads to under an inch!
Go to Top of Page

Kansas Ed
Advanced Member

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  21:42:19  Show Profile  Visit Kansas Ed's Homepage Send Kansas Ed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big squeeze

Kansas Ed.............OK! I have to ask. Why have you not used your 300 WSM? NIB for two years??? Great shelf decoration? Possibly worth more unfired?.........Since I already have a 300, I won`t make you an offer to buy yours! However, if I did and you accepted, I`d put that rifle to good use within a few days,,,guaranteed!!!!!!....C`mon Kansas, take that rifle out and use it!

I'm a Winchester fanatic, and the Supergrade III is the finest out of the box rifle I have ever owned. My first one in 25-06 will hold 3/4" groups or better with my handloads, and I really can't shoot a scope very well. When Winchester announced that they were closing shop, I was afraid of never having the opportunity to own another so I bought 3 more that very day, before the word got out. I realized later that I probably wouldn't ever use any of them, as I prefer obsolete calibers, so they ended up trading stock/long term investments instead. Shooting them once just ruins that plan....but I keep getting tempted....

What really tempts me is that if you live by the words of P.O.Ackley, then you can appreciate the fact that the 270 WSM, 300 WSM, and the 325 WSM are designed to the basic Ackley principal..that is efficency, with minimum body taper and sharp shoulder angles. Since I managed to pick up a 270 and 300 WSM, it's increasingly difficult to let them sit in their boxes looking sad like that BTW, I am taking the 270 WSM and a 25-06 to Tulsa this weekend to the show perhaps to trade or sell for another obsolete rifle....I would really like to find a Mod. 55 Winchester TD, or an 1885 in 25-20 Single Shot. Of course the ultimate goal is to find an 1895 Winchester in 40-72...but that's not bound to happen...

Ed

Are we there yet???
Go to Top of Page

big squeeze

USA
356 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  02:38:48  Show Profile Send big squeeze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kansas Ed........I understand your points! And, if I didn`t already have my 300, I certainly make you an offer on yours. Is it easier for you to shoot with open sights than it is with a scope?.......I couldn`t stand keeping those rifles that you have and not shooting them. I don`t see how you have stayed off the temptation even for this long!! Wow! I couldn`t do it!!.... That would like putting a 19 ft. leash around my neck, tying my legs and hands, then placing a juicy thick steak 20 ft. away while I`m going hungry in the process!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06