Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 Subsonic 308/30-06?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SouthNorway
Starting Member

Norway
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  18:38:01  Show Profile Send SouthNorway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, does anyone have reloading data for subsonic ammo in 308 or 30-06? Or experience with these kinds of loads?

homer j.

USA
270 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  18:44:13  Show Profile Send homer j. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is it that you want to go sub, when you can go super ? Need some more info. O.K.

homer j.
Go to Top of Page

wood
Advanced Member

USA
506 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  20:31:00  Show Profile Send wood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps hunting with a silencer?
Jack

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.
Go to Top of Page

Tomygun

USA
476 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  22:41:10  Show Profile Send Tomygun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SouthNorway, I don't have the data you request but do have the experience and you can easily work up loads. First, cast bullets will be superior to jacketed bullets. next, medium to light bullets work best. Next, a powder burning rate that is fast and will be consumed in the bbl. will reduce noise. The longer the bbl. the better. That would be pistol or shot gun powders that are forgiving of excessive air space in the case. I had fun with this all the way down to a .32cal round ball in a 8mm Mauser with bullseye powder. You only hear the firing pin in the best case and will usually be quieter than an air rifle. I first became interested in this because of shooting CB caps in a .22 rifle with a long bbl. as a teenager and found it was quieter than my pellet rifle with twice the impact. You can duplicate this in larger cals. Hope I helped. Tomygun

Tom
Go to Top of Page

SouthNorway
Starting Member

Norway
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  12:56:35  Show Profile Send SouthNorway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tomygun, thats helpful. The reason for subsonic loads is because I go hunting close to populated areas, and I dont want to piss off anyone by firing a 30-06 close to people. I was wondering about getting a silencer, and wanted subsonic rounds for the 308 and 30-06 so I could go totally silent. I`ve heard about bad prescission because of turbulence inside the cartridge due to the low amount of powder inside, but what Tomygun suggests could really work. Although I was thinking that it would be best to get a heavy bullet, like 220 grains for the 30-06, and get it as close to the sound barrier as possible. Guess that would be about 1000 fps, or 340 m/s because we use the metric system in norway.
Go to Top of Page

Hunterbob
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2008 :  01:12:13  Show Profile  Click to see Hunterbob's MSN Messenger address  Send Hunterbob a Yahoo! Message Send Hunterbob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got that Savage acu trigger sweet, .308 and I'm fixin to work up some loads myself. I came on here to get some ideas. I reloaded some 308's a long time ago but it was for a Model 100 Win , and it got stolen years ago. I was using some 150 PSP factory and shot a tight group at 100 yds at the range. As soon as I find out what works good I'll come back and tell it.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
Go to Top of Page

Tomygun

USA
476 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  03:41:15  Show Profile Send Tomygun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SouthNorway, Your thinking is correct. If your intent is to hunt large game silently you will need a silencer and restrict your velocity to about 1050fps at less than 1000ft. elivation. This being said then the heavier 200 to 220gr. bullet should suit you. A powder such as blue dot or the like should do what you wish. Don't wory about air space in the case but test what you load. Depend on impact and penitration rather than expansion when selecting a bullet shape. Expect a trajectory similar to a .22lr and practice with it. It works for the military and should also for you. This little explored area of rifle shooting has the most to offer. Best of luck Tom

Tom
Go to Top of Page

45cal

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  16:19:46  Show Profile Send 45cal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SouthNorway

Hi, does anyone have reloading data for subsonic ammo in 308 or 30-06? Or experience with these kinds of loads?

If my memory serves me right I beleave 11 grains of Trail boss and a 180 bullet works,I looked for my paper work but its like everything else I put in a safe place and now I forgot where the safe place is.
Go to Top of Page

ryalred
Average Member

USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  14:55:53  Show Profile Send ryalred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some reduced recoil loads using Blue Dot Pistol powder with a 150 grain Remington SP bullet for my 30-06. I was originally informed of these loads by Seafire (a member of this forum) and consequently tried it myself and found the data to be sound.

21 grs: 2057 fps
22 grs: 2180 fps
23 grs: 2225 fps
24 grs: 2272 fps
25 grs: 2363 fps
26 grs: 2422 fps

Start watching for pressure signs with 25 grs of Blue Dot and consider 26 grs the maximum load.
The Blue Dot powder is exceptionally well suited for reduced loads. It is a high volume to weight ratio powder which ignites easily and consistently. I use Winchester large rifle primers. There is no need for fillers with these reduced loads.

I did some experimenting with SR4759 for reduced loads but was not impressed. I believe the Blue Dot powder is better suited for this scenario.

I have used the Blue Dot for reduced .243 loads (with exceptional results) and for my 30-30. I am considering working up a reduced load for my .257 Wby Mag also using Blue Dot powder.

Hope this is helpful and good luck.

Red C

Edited by - ryalred on Feb 28 2008 09:07:18
Go to Top of Page

Ds28

USA
3279 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  15:05:03  Show Profile Send Ds28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ryalred....The info you gave us on the blue dot powder charges, What caliber is that for?

Thanks
DS28

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Go to Top of Page

determined451
Advanced Member

973 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  08:05:58  Show Profile  Click to see determined451's MSN Messenger address  Send determined451 a Yahoo! Message Send determined451 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you might want to look at this thread on snipershide.com...these guys know and use the cans...D-451

The Second Amendment.. America's Original Homeland Security
Go to Top of Page

ryalred
Average Member

USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  09:00:48  Show Profile Send ryalred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DS28
Sorry for the omission, The data is for a 30-06.

Red C
Go to Top of Page

Ds28

USA
3279 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  13:26:56  Show Profile Send Ds28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. The load that I use for the 170grn lead gas check in my 30-06 requires a filler. So I wanted to try the blue dot and get away from using the filler (mom get mad when I steal her pillow and quilt stuffing)

You also said that you used it on the 243. could you give some of that info or atleast a good place to start

Thanks
DS28

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Go to Top of Page

superyota

34 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  01:29:57  Show Profile Send superyota a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i to have tried above loads and have gone as far down as 18grs at vel of 1830fps 22 inch rem700 great low recoil load but was wondering if anybody knows of ture sub amo load for 150gr plated

you will never take away what once was given to me.
Go to Top of Page

badshooter
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  01:39:21  Show Profile Send badshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
try 10gr of IMR trailboss and a 175gr Sierra matchking for the .308. Quiet as a .22 and works great in my 20" remmy.
Go to Top of Page

superyota

34 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  14:55:43  Show Profile Send superyota a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i don't have imr trailboss listed in any of my reloading manuls,nor is it listed on the burn rate chart,do you have any other names form that powder

you will never take away what once was given to me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06