Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 Applications for Norma R-123
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

.25MOA
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  13:38:02  Show Profile Send .25MOA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading Ken Water's (Pet Loads) for the .357magnum, I decided I'd like to try the Norma R-123 powder that he found very successful in this caliber.

Much to my amazement, I was able to purchase a can of R-123 at a local gunshop. I will be trying it soon for the .357.

I also reload for other cartridges and and wonder if anyone has found non-conventional applications for R-123? It is mainly a magnum pistol powder. Seems to me R-123 might also be useful for reduced charges in some rifle cartridges, but I have no intention of wandering into this arena blindfolded. My initial web searches turned up nothing. Before I start scouring old loading manuals, I thought I'd inquire here.

If any of you have an older printed brochure or reloading guide for this Norma powder, I would be curious to hear what cartridges are mentioned for R-123.

Thanks for your help.

WILLIAMDOERSAM

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  17:15:38  Show Profile Send WILLIAMDOERSAM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it's a smidgen quicker than IMR-4759, IMR-4227 and AC-5744. If you have any load data for those Powders you could begin your experiment with them. If'n it were me and I was feeling real froggy I'd start with 4759 data. That is available in Lyman reloading manuals.

But using better judgement I would get in touch with Norma and find out if they have done any experimenting with this thought. They might tell you to have aerial intercourse with a rolling donut and treat you like your anti-perspirant failed.

I'm not home right now, but I will be tomorrow and I have some data on powder substitutions. It was written by Bob Forker of Guns and Ammo fame and he is a ballistician. He has worked with many rifle cranks including Stoner, Ackley and Hutton.

Best wishes, Bill
Go to Top of Page

.25MOA
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  18:27:29  Show Profile Send .25MOA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bill, for your response. I had noticed IMR 4227, along with 2400, in the burn rate charts, but missed 4759. The latter has produced such stellar results for me in .45-70 that you've now got me curious about tinkering with R-123.

I'll be very interested to hear about Bob Forker's article, including a date of publication so I can track it down.

Before posting here, I sent an e-mail to Norma in Sweden. Will be curious to see how they respond.
Go to Top of Page

ricciardelli
Advanced Member

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  04:05:35  Show Profile  Visit ricciardelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
R-123 can be used in the same calibers as AA-9, 2400, N-110, BA-6, Lil'Gun and P-806.

http://stevespages.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06