Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Rifle Reloading
 Single Shot Rifle
 Combination Blaser BD880 Bockdrilling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dom

Germany
2012 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  14:26:43  Show Profile Send Dom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The single shot rifle, with a choice of two rifle calibers and one shotgun barrel in one neat package. Hmmmm, the perfect stand weapon? In those regions where multiple seasons are open for game/predators, nothing beats the drilling or combination weapon. It could be you could shoot anything from rabbit to fox to deer to wild boar to elk. This beats the daylights out of taking say a 22cf like a hornet and a larger caliber like a 30-06 both out, it's simply a pain, I've done it before. And then you have no shotgun barrel.

The Blaser Bockdrilling, BD880, covers this annoyance nicely. Unfortunately it is not made any longer, they have a new bockdrilling out. A minor clarification, bock is over/under, drilling is three, so it is an over/under three barrel weapon. The one I use has a 3" 20 guage over a 30-06, with a 22 Hornet on the side. Double triggers, front always the large caliber, with a selector to switch it to hornet, Rear trigger always the shotgun barrel. I have many times shot both fox and boar the same evening. The cost? No more than if you purchased two rifles with scopes and a shotgun, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

Blaser BD880, 20 ga over 30-06, Hornet on the side:

I shot the fox with the hornet first, then 10 minutes later the boar w/'06, then a few minutes later another boar w/'06, so within 15 minutes a fox and two boar:

The business end:

Good sized boar:

Joe King

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  21:41:27  Show Profile Send Joe King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dom I don't know how practical it would really be on my part of the rock but it would be cool to have just the same. Three in one gun
Joe

you can hit em as hard as you want, but you have to hit em first

Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Go to Top of Page

wood
Advanced Member

USA
506 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  08:07:12  Show Profile Send wood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dom
That is a beauty! I always liked the idea of more that one barrel. Don't see many drillings in my neck of the woods. I had a savage in 22 hornet 12 gauge and loved it for turkey hunting.
Jack

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.
Go to Top of Page

grubber
Advanced Member

1305 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  10:38:00  Show Profile Send grubber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That looks sooo...exotic...
Go to Top of Page

Ds28

USA
3278 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  11:14:43  Show Profile Send Ds28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dom ...very nice. What does that rifle weigh with the ammo and scope all together, seems It could be heavy with 3 barrels, and what all calibers combinations can you get the new one's in?

DS28

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Go to Top of Page

Dom

Germany
2012 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  13:13:01  Show Profile Send Dom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ds, I placed mine on a digital scale, weighs with everything including sling 8.7 lbs, so loaded and carrying ~9 lbs tops. Found a little history on it, with pictures at: http://www.blaser.de/1988.256.0.html?&L=1.

Gerhard Blenk, together with Head of R&D Meinrad Zeh, developed a totally new single lock action, the “SLK#65533;#65533;? system, which was applied to the combination models. The BBF 700/88 and the BS 750/88 replaced the models ES 700 and B 75. Through the newly designed system, the new fine trigger made the set trigger redundant.

Blaser SLK-System
The series production of the non-detachable ES 67 ceased and the new Blaser #65533;#65533;?Bockdrilling#65533;#65533;? (over & under rifle-/shotgun combination with additional small caliber rifle barrel on the side) BD 880 was released. This model was fitted with the SLK system, featuring a fine trigger and manual cocking device.

The small caliber rifle barrel in .22 Hornet can be adjusted at the muzzle and the barrel selector is ergonomically positioned directly beside the trigger.

Because of its light weight, versatility and universal practicality the BD 880 was one of the most popular district rifles. The model was built until 1999 when the D 99 Duo replaced it.

The Blaser bolt action rifle SR 850 is equipped with countless innovations: The set trigger is replaced by fine triggers, the characteristics "cocking hammer" was no longer integrated.
Its successor the SR 850/88 was cocked through pushing forward the bolt handle.

It was replaced by the D 99 Duo, which is not a Bockdrilling, but a three barrel combi with a rifle barrel on top and two barrels under, one more rifle and a shotgun barrel. They have quite a few caliber combinations, all of them listed at their website here: http://www.blaser.de/Calibers-D-99-Duo.354.0.html?&L=1

Set up for predator hunting coyotes and fox would be the cats meow in the states, you got the shotgun barrel for close encounters, out to ~150 or so the hornet, and the '06 if farther out, Dom.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06