Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Smokeless Rifle Powder Designations....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

curly

Canada
2992 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  20:06:35  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know we have extruded, ball, and flake powders out there...But is there any type of chart that shows which powders are single based and which are double based in composition...??

Maybe we could put together some sort of chart here at Reloadersnest along side the burn rate to show powder composition...

Just a thought.....

Curly

oneokie
Advanced Member

USA
909 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  21:48:49  Show Profile Send oneokie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Accurate powder manuals do list their powders as single base or double base, and include how much nitroglycerin is in the mix.
IIRC, IMR used to designate whether single or double base.

Dumb can be overcome, but Stupid goes on forever.
Go to Top of Page

luvrifles
Advanced Member

USA
818 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  16:20:26  Show Profile Send luvrifles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alliant lists the powder ingredients on the cannister label. The Hodgden and IMR powders I have do not. But they may be listed on the websites.or they may provide the information if asked. Sounds like a reasonable idea Curly. The more info we have the better.

So many different rifles,so little time
Go to Top of Page

WBW

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  17:16:12  Show Profile Send WBW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That info could be included on the burn rate chart beside each powder.
Go to Top of Page

wood
Advanced Member

USA
506 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  18:23:26  Show Profile Send wood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a little time and found the following.
From Hodgdon MSDS sheets posted on their web page.

Clays
Universal clays
International clays
All double base Disc/ flake powders with 85% nitrocellulose , 10% nitroglycerine

H4227®
H4895®
H4198®
VARGET®
H4350®
H50BMG®
H4831®
H4831SC®
H1000®
RETUMBO®
All single base stick type with < 85% nitrocellulose

H322
Benchmark
Single base powders with <90% nitrocellulose

Jack

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.
Go to Top of Page

Jmears

Canada
419 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  19:38:27  Show Profile  Click to see Jmears's MSN Messenger address Send Jmears a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to know/see the burn-rate sequence in order, it would really help to know if this powder burns faster then that powder and so on. I think I might look into a a list like that. Jason

"GET'ER DONE"

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Go to Top of Page

Ds28

USA
3278 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  20:16:45  Show Profile Send Ds28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jmears.... If you click on home then go the the left side and scroll down from were you clicked on forum, there is a powder burn rate that you can click on that tells just that.

DS28

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Go to Top of Page

Jmears

Canada
419 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  20:48:26  Show Profile  Click to see Jmears's MSN Messenger address Send Jmears a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ds28,thats what I was looking for. I do not wonder too far from the forums here,so I would not have found it any time soon. Jason

"GET'ER DONE"

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Go to Top of Page

BAGTIC

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  18:57:38  Show Profile Send BAGTIC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Powder Profiles give not only that data but much more. Often it includes some ingredients, percentage of nitroglycerine, etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06