Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 calibre for wild boar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mark UK
Average Member

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  12:37:16  Show Profile Send Mark UK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys

i am thinking about shooting some wild boar, the largest gun i have at the moment is a 25-06 which i am told is not really man enough, any recomendations or favorites from you guys, the rifle will almost exlusivly be used in the Uk and some Poland trips

While evil men cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles

Kawabuggy
Average Member

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  13:02:54  Show Profile Send Kawabuggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It matters NOT what caliber you are using (to a degree) but more importantly YOUR SHOT PLACEMENT that counts. If I can believe what I read on the internet, hogs can be killed with guns as small as .22 caliber-IF YOU PUT THE SHOT WHERE IT COUNTS!

I have read on the internet that you can't kill a hog shooting it in the ass with a 45-70, 50 BMG, or any other fantasy weapon you can dream of. But if you can hit him in the ear-hole, or through the neck, you can drop him with a .223, 243, your 25-06, or whatever else you happen to have with you.

Over on 17hmr.net there is a guy that killed a good sized hog with his-you guessed it-.17 hmr (rimfire rifle that is smaller than a .22). He shot it through the heart. Again, shot placement is the most important thing. Feel confident with your 25-06 as it will do the job.
Go to Top of Page

MIKESBARRO
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  13:05:51  Show Profile Send MIKESBARRO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That #1 (I assume) will work just fine.

Mike

Awards are like hemmoroids......if you live long enough, every asshole gets one.
Go to Top of Page

c-man
Advanced Member

607 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  14:03:57  Show Profile Send c-man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is one of those scenerios where I would use a premium bullet to guarantee a little more penetration.

Then, I would not hesitate to shoot the pig dead..

"You do not have to balance the truth."
Go to Top of Page

Meaghercamp
Advanced Member

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  14:23:02  Show Profile Send Meaghercamp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mark, I too would think your 25-06 would do just fine with a good premium bullet.

How about a good 8 x 57 JS Mauser with a 196gr bullet given the area in which you live? 7 x 57 or .303 Brit have also proven themselves.

It's all about Action and Adventure! Go out and get some!
Go to Top of Page

Dom

Germany
2025 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  14:24:06  Show Profile Send Dom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mark UK, I recommend a 30-06 caliber w/180 grainers.

The object is not to see how small you can go, but to use a caliber capable of cleanly taking the game you're hunting .

A couple points to keep in mind -- there are some differences between the ferals and the European Wild Boar; you mention Poland, they have some pretty good sized boar. You may be on stand for drive hunts, when boar are on the move, small calibers have much less chance of providing sufficient wound, period. Boar have long hair, so blood leaks out slow enough w/a 30 caliber hole. You may be on stand at night, any shot taken at night is twice as difficult as a daytime shot. I'm not positive, but from a legal stand point the 25-06 might qualify as minimum, but may be listed as 6.5mm minimum. Now I wouldn't say the 25-06 isn't man enough, I'd be more apt to say it's just on the light side. You will be limited to bullets that are lighter, so if you do use it, I'd recommend the 117 grainers.

You can go with a pretty small caliber on a smaller boar, especially if shooting in the head or ear, but if you book a hunt in Poland, that's not the time to be trying that out, and I'd be highly amazed if they even let you try it!

Besides, what better excuse do you need to get a new rifle? Waidmannsheil, Dom.
Go to Top of Page

Mark UK
Average Member

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  16:57:41  Show Profile Send Mark UK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well to be granted a rifle for wild boar in the UK it must be a minimum of 7mm rem mag, also in Poland most of the places i would be invited to would also insist on this as a minimum hence my thinking the 25 wont be man enough, of course in real terms it is but we have some strange laws over here, for example until recently deer was a .243 min with 1700 ft lbs they have reduced this to .223 now for muntjac and chinese water deer, i have given some serious consideration to the 7mm but as you may have noticed i dont like to have what everyone else has hence the 25-06 which is not that popular over here, however i am not looking for some mental wildcat that is a pain the arse to load for

not asking much right lol

the 30-06 seems a good option but again they are very popular over here, maybe one of the 9.3 variants although without some research i know very little about them.

I agree i would like to buy a new gun every month you guys have that luxury over here we have to ask for the calibre we want and prove that we have a use for it, i do have a lee enfield .303 which may do the job but its really a plinker for the range and i fancy something a little special

While evil men cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles
Go to Top of Page

338User

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  17:05:25  Show Profile Send 338User a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Local laws aside the .25/06 is plenty of gun for wild boar. I have taken dozens with that caliber. Some were quite large animals. I prefer the 120gn Hornady hollow point driven at around 3000fps. You will find that combination really flattens them.

338User

Edited by - 338User on Mar 21 2008 17:09:04
Go to Top of Page

andersm1142
Average Member

179 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  17:17:11  Show Profile Send andersm1142 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless you are interested in buying a new gun, your 25-06 should work just fine. Use a good heavy bullet(the heavier the better) and you should be fine. The shot placement thing is no joke. Obviously, the bigger caliber, the better, as there becomes a bit more wiggle room on shot placement but it is still important. I have seen pigs shot through the guts with a 45-70 and never recovered. They have lots of grisle and fat that tends to clog up holes and not leak much blood. Also, become familiar with the vital areas of a pig. They are much further forward then a deer, or an elk. I reccomend putting your shot in the head or neck area if possible. Even if shot in the vitals, pigs, like deer, can run quite a ways before expiring. The difference is the lack of a blood trail which can make it very difficult track. Also, if you put the shot in the head or neck, it really doesn't matter as much what weight or type of bullet you use. My partner used .243 ballistic silver tips the first year we went pig hunting. I don't remember what the exact bullet weight was but I am pretty sure they were light for caliber. He had a very accurate rifle and put his shots right behind the ear and right between the eyes both at about 80 yds. They dropped like stones. I used a .270 with 150 sierra grain gamekings. Shot mine in the shoulder close to the neck. It ran about 20 yds and expired. That being said, if you are using this as an excuse to buy a new gun, I would get the biggest caliber that you can accuratly shoot. If you know the ranges are going to be 150 yds or closer, the 45-70 in a short barreled lever action is ideal. The lighter loads are pretty easy to shoot and provide pleanty of power and penetration. ALso, a short lever action like a Marlin 1895 guide gun is very easy to handle in quick shot, close up situations. If you can handle the heavier loads then go for it. The more power the better. Just make sure you can accuratly shoot it. If you need something a little more long range, your standard 308 or 30-06 with heavier bullets would probably work very well. Although I have no experiance using it and ammo and rifle availablilty may be limited, I think that new .338 federal cartridge would be an excellant hog cartridge with pleanty of power and without adding the recoil and weight of a magnum caliber. Just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3326 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  17:57:29  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess some people don't listen. I believe it was stated that laws in the UK and Poland require a rifle of larger caliber. If that is the case, the the 25-06 is, regardless of how good it really might be using a premium bullet, not legal for wild boar.
I ahven't a clue as to how big boars get in the UK, but I do know tham the Europeam wild boad is a lot bigger and meaner than most of what is found here in the US.
Now if I were ever lucky enough to do a boar hunt in Poland or some other European country, I do believe that depending on the conditions of the hunt, I'd most likely take my .35 Whelen using standard 250 gr. bullets. I figure that is my canadian buddie are confident that the 250 gr. Speer Hot-core is sufficient for grizzly Bear, then it should handle a boar with no problem. It's an accurate round, hits hard and is not to hard on the shoulder. It's a round where a premium bullet is really not required. No harm using one if you want, but I don't think it's necessary.
If I knew ranges would be at close quarters, then I'd take one of my lever action rifles in .358 Win. Bullet would still be a 250 gr., but possibly in this case I'd use the Hornady round nose interlock.
If the cartridge is legal, then the 30-06 would be an excellent option. As the late Col. Townsend Whelen once said, "The 30-06 is never a mistake." I'll add to that; yes it's mundane, it's boring and everybody has one. It just gets the job done. Nothing wrong with that. You can find ammo anywhere. I can remember a labor day deer hunt up in the California rain forest near Rockport. It was the last deer hunt I was to have for a while as I was going overseas to Korea two days after the week end was over. I ran into a hunter who'd lost his ammo. He was shooting a 30-06 as was I. Due to the week end, all there local stores were closed and he couldn't buy a single round of ammo. I only had one box myself, but I gave him 5 rounds to see him through. That's the nice thing about the commonality of that boring mundane 30-06. Everyone has one and you can usually snag a few rounds should you lose yours.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page

andersm1142
Average Member

179 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  18:21:14  Show Profile Send andersm1142 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
45-70 all the way. In a 1895 Marlin with a 18.5 barrel and either a 1-4 or a 2-7 scope. Perfect wild hog medicine. You might as well go first class and make it the stainless finish model and use Leupold scopes. Who could argue with that?

Edited by - andersm1142 on Mar 21 2008 18:31:10
Go to Top of Page

Mark UK
Average Member

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  18:45:59  Show Profile Send Mark UK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i understand shot placment i shoot a lot of deer in over here and if you get the shot wrong you might not get invited back to the estate you are shooting on, i also understand that in the real world the 25-06 is man enough for the job with the corrent shot placment, however i am restricted from using it by law and also etiquete in Europe, the 35 whelen is an interesting read as is the 45-70 which is largely used as a plinking target round in the UK, food for thought thanks very much guys i appreciate your thoughts and opinions so far

Go to Top of Page

andersm1142
Average Member

179 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  20:21:02  Show Profile Send andersm1142 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The low end 45-70 loads can certainly be considered plinking loads but the hot 45-70 loads, most of which have to be custom loaded are anything but a plinking load and are capable of taking just about anything that walks on the earth. Many of these max loads are too much for many people to handle. However, there are certainly numerous load possibilities that fall between the min and max ends of the spectrum that will have plenty of power and a level of recoil that you can shoot accurately. Good luck with your decision and happy hunting.
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3670 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  22:42:12  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess a bigger bullet would be better on big animals. I shot a hog trice through the heart with 270 and finished it with a spine shot. Seemed pretty tough. Then I shot several with 222 and a couple with a 257 Roberts. All one shot and no fucc. If they were bigger and tougher, I guess I'd tke my 30-06.
Go to Top of Page

ricciardelli
Advanced Member

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2008 :  04:18:26  Show Profile  Visit ricciardelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here in the States I use the old reliable .44 Magnum, both in handgun and carbine. I have a buddy in Texas who swears by his .30 Whisper. (He even has a supressor on the end of it and a really nice nightvision 'scope on top.)

http://stevespages.com
Go to Top of Page

338User

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2008 :  04:22:57  Show Profile Send 338User a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was planning my first Sambar hunt I had to buy new rifle. My only centrefire at that time was a .25/06, but unfortunately teh minimum legal caliber was 270. I didn't really want to buy a 270 because I felt it was too close to what I already had, So instead I decided to buy something at the bigger end. That choice ended up being the 338 WIn Mag, which I have been very happy with. It is plenty of gun for most game up to buffalo. Pigs are flattened with a good 200gn or 225gn bullet. Maybe you could choose something at that end of the spectrum.

338User
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06