Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Equipment
 Kinneman's?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FALPhil
Advanced Member

621 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  13:20:08  Show Profile Send FALPhil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever used a Kinneman's neck turning tool? They advertise that the use of their tool ameliorates the donuts from necking down from larger cases.

"No idea is so bad and fails so completely that you can't find academics and politicians attempting to repeat it on the grounds of it having been insufficiently implemented." -- Vox Day

woods
Advanced Member

USA
2022 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  21:27:30  Show Profile Send woods a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Phil

The Kinneman site has the following info:

quote:

The Cutter is large and has a bevel for tuning up on the case...
This will get rid of the dreaded donuts that you hear Shooters complain about.

I think that is a misspelling (did I misspell mispelling? ) of the word "tuning" which should be "turning" up on the case. What they are talking about is you set the blade so that it turns some material off the shoulder/neck juncture and into the shoulder. That way when you shoot and the brass flows the donut will not develop. All turners are capable of doing this.

The only one that actually has a cutter on the end of the mandrel is the K & M.

quote:
K & M has specially designed a new carbide mandrel that has four flutes for removing the "dough-nut" that is located at the neck-shoulder junction of a case. Removing this extra material aids in a consistent high volume flow of powder gas. A small difference in the shape and diameter of the hole makes a huge difference in performance. This new carbide mandrel will also cut the extra material out of this area if you have changed the neck to a different caliber. This mandrel works while you neck turn, so you will not have to perform a separate operation.

In my opinion the K & M is the ultimate turner and still much cheaper than the Kinnemans. I have a Forster and I sometimes wish I had gone with the K & M.

When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Edited by - woods on Apr 02 2008 21:30:06
Go to Top of Page

k-townman
Advanced Member

USA
517 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  21:43:31  Show Profile Send k-townman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FALPhil

Anyone ever used a Kinneman's neck turning tool? They advertise that the use of their tool ameliorates the donuts from necking down from larger cases.

ameliorates??? Anyone want to venture forth with a definition?

If all else fails; LOAD THE GUNS!!!
Go to Top of Page

k-townman
Advanced Member

USA
517 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  21:56:37  Show Profile Send k-townman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
intransitive)" To make better, to improve; to heal or solve a problem." I got this from wikipedia. This is our vocabulary word of the day.

If all else fails; LOAD THE GUNS!!!
Go to Top of Page

hunterjoe21
Average Member

USA
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  22:55:09  Show Profile Send hunterjoe21 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FALPhil

the use of their tool ameliorates the donuts from necking down from larger cases.

The exuberance of your verbosity is much too copious for my diminutive comprehension.

My 1911 is more effective than your 911.
Go to Top of Page

FALPhil
Advanced Member

621 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  07:29:42  Show Profile Send FALPhil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hunterjoe21
The exuberance of your verbosity is much too copious for my diminutive comprehension.

Hey, at least I didn't use an apostrophe in a plural. That counts for something, doesn't it?

"No idea is so bad and fails so completely that you can't find academics and politicians attempting to repeat it on the grounds of it having been insufficiently implemented." -- Vox Day
Go to Top of Page

twud
Advanced Member

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  09:52:27  Show Profile Send twud a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man I hated English in College, and that's what this reminds me of.

NRA Life Member

If a man is alone, deep in the woods, and there is no woman to hear him is he still wrong?
Go to Top of Page

hunterjoe21
Average Member

USA
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  21:51:05  Show Profile Send hunterjoe21 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twud

Man I hated English in College, and that's what this reminds me of.

What's college??

My 1911 is more effective than your 911.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06