Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Handgun Reloading
 Handgun Reloading&Hunting
 Flash suppressed powders?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Meaghercamp
Advanced Member

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  19:30:28  Show Profile Send Meaghercamp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know if flash suppresed powders are available for reloaders?

I was just out shooting my Charter Arms .44spl with hand loads. 180gr Sierra JHC with Bluedot 13.5gr charge. As I stated on Wolfgang's Naval Gun recoil post, the muzzle flash is impressive. My boys were in awe of the spectical. Great performance out of the Bluedot, but at night it's a one shot propisition due to the fire ball the size of a basketball, no joke.

Got me to thinking of flash supressed powders.

It's all about Action and Adventure! Go out and get some!

Evad
Advanced Member

USA
1322 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  20:43:03  Show Profile Send Evad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read that the military was trying to find something for that, but I dont know if they have had any success. I could not find anything about it on the net. Sorry
Dave

I never met a gun I didn't like.
Go to Top of Page

BISCUT

3497 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  20:47:05  Show Profile Send BISCUT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The real deal ones are not even availabe to LE I think it's only because they are afraid of the DC sniper situation coming back to haunt them if they give it out to the general public. Ironic that many ammo manufacturers, not powder manufacturers proclaim less muzzle blast. Hornady especially comes to mind.

Much of it I believe to be a marketing strategy with some, albeit little truth to it. Take Hornady TAP 223. Good stuff for the Civi. Good bullet w. good velocity. Good for HD like it's advertised. Of course it comes in a sexy black brass case. The real deal 5.56 true LE TAP is about 225-250fps faster, has a crimped primer, and is using a much better 75gr open tip match bullet and a DIFFERENT powder.

Dont get me wrong, Hornady is NOT screwing the public, they are merely offering a better product to the LE/Mil market. The 223 TAP performed great for our in-house tests. The 5.56 TAP is even better on those wet phone books.

I have used DoubleTap 10mm ammo and it has lower flash powders and velocity as if it were a reloader loading it. Other than that I think you will have trouble finding any.

Forgot to mention the LE/Mil 5.56 loadings are in a plain jane brass case, no sexy black case Damn, everyone hates cops and loved fireman

Edited by - BISCUT on Sep 16 2008 20:49:01
Go to Top of Page

Meaghercamp
Advanced Member

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  09:38:42  Show Profile Send Meaghercamp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awwww, you cop's aren't all that bad.

Have not tried the double tap ammo line yet, Cor Bon Power Ball resides in my 9mm and Speer 200gr Gold Dot or Cor Bon 165gr JHP in the 45. I have my hand loads in the Charter Arms .44spl as most of the factory offerings are rather lacking. That said Cor Bon and Double Tap do offer full power loadings in the 44spl.

I guess the reality of a lot of powder in a short bbl revolver is it's going to produce quite a muzzle flash. It was about 1830 and just starting to get dusk, still a good deal of light. Even so the fire ball is impressive. Pitch dark it would light up the yard.

Go to Top of Page

skyline
Advanced Member

Canada
2807 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  11:51:05  Show Profile Send skyline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come on Biscut.........never seen the FD loose a foundation yet.

Can't count the times I went to an accident scene and they had helped me out by hosing the area clean, etc, etc.

(Do not take offense boys and girls......all meant in good fun.)

Let no good deed go unpunished.
Go to Top of Page

BISCUT

3497 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  13:08:13  Show Profile Send BISCUT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm use 2 it! Some of the manufacturers home defense lines use powders that are impressive for low flash. We are using Federal 165gr 40S&W premium. Flash is much lower than our Speer Lawman training ammo at night.

DoubleTap makes some really good ammo. Worth the price. I feel CorBon is very good as well. I still rather roll my own!

Shorter barre certainly will make a difference
Go to Top of Page

Meaghercamp
Advanced Member

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  17:10:40  Show Profile Send Meaghercamp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey HGH, how do yer 2400 loads light up the night? What bullet are you useing?

Go to Top of Page

HGHunter
Advanced Member

USA
873 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  01:19:58  Show Profile Send HGHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those things will light up a big yard; HGHuntress watched me touch one of them off at complete dark when we went camping and she described the muzzle flash as "a beach ball of fire with a burning laser coming out". Yes, your night vision is pretty much screwed after you pull the trigger on one of them. I'm loading 16.5 grains of 2400 behind a 185 grain Hornady XTP and using a CCI LPM primer, in fact I only have 15 loaded right now as I gave some to a fellow officer for his Taurus, so I need to load some more. I actually got the load data from Ricardelli; he sure can enlighten you.

"I am not here to judge you, only God can judge you, I am here merely to arrange the meeting."

"A 9mm HP may expand upon impact, a .40 cal. HP may expand upon impact, but a .45 will never shrink"
Go to Top of Page

HGHunter
Advanced Member

USA
873 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  08:21:42  Show Profile Send HGHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops! I screwed that last post up: my actual load is a 180 grain Hornady XTP pushed by 15.5 grains of 2400. See what happens when you stay up for 24 hrs straight.

"I am not here to judge you, only God can judge you, I am here merely to arrange the meeting."

"A 9mm HP may expand upon impact, a .40 cal. HP may expand upon impact, but a .45 will never shrink"
Go to Top of Page

Evad
Advanced Member

USA
1322 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  21:01:09  Show Profile Send Evad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use H110 in my Blackhawk .41 magnum with a 6.5 inch barrel and those loads will light up a whole meadow. Its about the size of a beechball. You better make the first shot count after dark, because you will be light blinded for the second one! It would definatly give your position away, if they are not blinded also. Does anybody else shoot H110, if so try one after dark.
Dave

I never met a gun I didn't like.
Go to Top of Page

HGHunter
Advanced Member

USA
873 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  13:35:27  Show Profile Send HGHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I love some H110 in my magnum loads, but I don't know if my Pitbull Pug will take that much pressure in the 44 Special. I do need to take a shot at dark with my .460 S&W.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06