Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Techniques
 .243 Winchester Trim Length?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

James Schwabenbauer
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  09:53:47  Show Profile Send James Schwabenbauer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any thoughts on a good trim length for .243 Win? I have once fired Federal cases that my competition sizing die sizes to 2.045". I also have a whole box of new Lapua that measures 2.033 or so. My dies are FL.

I know the maximum length is 2.045, but not sure what the ideal trim length is. If it matters, I'm loading up 55g Noslers and 85g Barnes TSX,

The rifle is an early L57 Sako w/w Bofors barrel.

I appreciate your help. I recently picked the rifle up, and was successful in getting .4" (bullet center to bullet center) groups with Federal 80g. PowerShock. Quite frankly, it's probably a fools errand trying to improve upon what I am able to do with just cheap factory ammo, but that's what guys like us do, right? Never let well enough alone....

curly

Canada
2946 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  10:38:25  Show Profile Send curly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Recommended trim length is to remove the usual .01 of an inch to bring the brass down to 2.035 inches....Like many cases, the neck is only about 1 caliber in length, so you don't want to go much shorter than that...What many reloaders do when they buy a bag of new brass is measure all cases, take the shortest, and trim all others in the lot to that length for overall uniformity...

Just my 2 pennies...

Curly
Go to Top of Page

James Schwabenbauer
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  12:02:51  Show Profile Send James Schwabenbauer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Curly. 2.035 seems to be the defacto standard length people trim to. I'll give it a (er...) shot!

Jim
Go to Top of Page

HGHunter
Advanced Member

USA
873 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  16:21:41  Show Profile Send HGHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
measure all cases, take the shortest, and trim all others in the lot to that length for overall uniformity

I just did this with some 30-06 loads last night, these were once, or maybe twice fired. I measured the cases that I chose for my trial loads and went .1 under the case length shown in the load book, I went 5% lower on the powder weight than the maximum load data on this batch as I went 10% lower on the first batch of loads last time. Now I have two batches to take to the range and test, since this batch is a compressed load, I don't believe that I will go toward the max recommended load of the RL-22 that I am using for my loads. If I do not get the accuracy that I want from this load I will most likely go to another powder. I am of the opinion that if I stay within a couple of tenths of the load book's case length, I will be okay, just not over.

This is sort of an answer and a question in one. If anyone has any other opinions, criticism, or suggestions I will gladly listen as I am new to rifle reloading too.

"I am not here to judge you, only God can judge you, I am here merely to arrange the meeting."

"A 9mm HP may expand upon impact, a .40 cal. HP may expand upon impact, but a .45 will never shrink"
Go to Top of Page

oneokie
Advanced Member

USA
909 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  11:37:17  Show Profile Send oneokie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HGHunter

I measured the cases that I chose for my trial loads and went .1 under the case length shown in the load book,

What was the actual case length?

2.384"?

2.474"?

Dumb can be overcome, but Stupid goes on forever.
Go to Top of Page

F. Guffey
Advanced Member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  11:20:52  Show Profile  Visit F. Guffey's Homepage Send F. Guffey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
James Schwabenbauer, it is like keeping up with two things at once, case length is not absolute, the chamber length is never mentioned when talking about case length but a chamber that has extra head space as with my Rock Island 03, it has .016 thousands head space, that is .010 more than a go-gage, I can add .010 to the case length if it is added between the head of the case and shoulder but not between the shoulder and case mouth, some case trimmers trim to length others trim from by setting up on the shoulder, then is is not easy to keep up with two things at once.

I built a (similar) 30 Gibbs, Gibbs have short necks, to avoid this I used a 30/06 chamber length 2.510 and 280 Remington cases necked up to 35 Whelen and sized back to the Gibbs shoulder, I added .040 thousands to the length of the neck if I trim cases .010 shorter than the length of the chamber.

30 Gibbs case length 2.460, neck length .216, my Gibbs can have a neck length from .256 to .261.

F. Guffey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06