Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 can I fire form 308 brass to 7mm08
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lugnuts

36 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2008 :  19:08:01  Show Profile Send lugnuts a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lets say I was wanting to fire form a few 308 rounds to the 7mm08 can I do this effectively? I have quite a few 308 spent brass that I would be willing to convert if it was as easy as I assume, (which I learn from time to time it usually isn't)

Would it be as simple as loading with small ammounts of powder and maybe a wax ball or something then firing it through the gun or is there more to it then that?

Also would I have to load this like a real load or would it be ok to load say 10-20 grains of shotgun powder in them before firing them? Without the bullet the pressure wouldn't be there I would assume or atleast the pressure would not be high anyway so there wouldn't be the disaater that could be.

I would appreciate all answers to this thanks.

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3652 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2008 :  20:03:14  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lugnuts, A wax ball sure won't work. I have never done this but the standard method is to load a bullet touching the lands with a light powder load. The cartridge supposedly will then form to fit the chamber. I don't know about your case neck diameter which might require turning down after necking down the 308. Also length could be long and trimming required. DON"T try this unless you have a load that is tried and proven to work and be safe. I would think you might be asking for trouble trying the shotgun powder. Someone on here with hands on experience will tell you what to do. As you have described it....don't do it! Mike
Go to Top of Page

Ds28

USA
3279 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2008 :  20:31:22  Show Profile Send Ds28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The guy that taught me how to reload only shoots 7mm08 and all he uses is 308 brass and I will check with him but I almost positive that he only puts 308 brass through a f.l sizer die to make 7mm08 brass without having to fire form it in your gun.

It should work if you don't have a tight neck and then trim brass to length. I will check with him and get back to you

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Go to Top of Page

Ds28

USA
3279 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2008 :  20:54:24  Show Profile Send Ds28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made some phone calls and he says that he puts 308 brass through a 7mm08 fl die checks trim length then fire forms then checks length again and if your gun is a tight neck you might have to do a inside neck turn

good luck and let us know how it turns out

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06