Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 Need help, 6.5-284 hunting gun, 120 gr. TSX
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cfvickers
Advanced Member

1893 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  20:40:23  Show Profile Send cfvickers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I just got all of my own stuff for reloading, funds are an issue, and the fact that I need some ammo before I can get to a place to get different powder. I need a place to start with 120 gr. TSX and H4831SC. I have reloaded before, I am not a beginner, I just can't find any load data for the bullet and power combo. I know the TSX has some different attributes than lead core bullets so would it still be OK to use the same base loads as with other 120 grain bullets?

Thanks in advance.

Ds28

USA
3281 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  21:08:27  Show Profile Send Ds28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes it would be ok, as long as you start at the low end and work up watching for pressure signs

from Hodgdon's 2008 manual
6.5-284
120grn sp
H4831
starting 48grns=2651fps
max of 52.5grns=2871
all using fed 210 primer
barrel was 24" with a 1-9" twist

good luck

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Go to Top of Page

WILLIAMDOERSAM

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  21:22:07  Show Profile Send WILLIAMDOERSAM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barnes does tend to skid down the tube a tad bit slower than regular bullets. At least they did in my Swede.

With the 284 I would tend to start about 46 grs and work up looking for pressure signs, the usual suspects.

Sierra lists 52.4 grs as a top/max load for the HPBT Matchking. That bullet also has a tough jacket, how it compares to Barnes, I don't know.

Best wishes, Bill
Go to Top of Page

10spotterminator
Average Member

137 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  01:05:43  Show Profile Send 10spotterminator a Private Message  Reply with Quote
USING THE BARNES TSX BULLETS ,,,

When barnes first stated producing the TSX series bullets they went almost 3 years before putting any data into print for this bullet . What they made avaiable was a printable info page on line that said in essence to use the data for the old "X" series bullet and add up to as much as 2grs. of powder to any loads except for the "XLC" coated bullets . The resoning was this,,, due to the grooves cut into the bullet there was less of the load bearing surface of the bullet contacting the barrel therefore reduced drag and reduced pressures. This was near verbatum for the moly coated bullets as they too were subject to the same thing. Having loaded a lot of moly coated bullets as well as TSX bullets I found that I indeed had to increase my powder charges ( often 1 or more grains over max data ) to get the speed and accuracy where they should be and with no signs of excess pressure . As you are a beginner I would not recommend that you try this on your own. Hook up with someone who honestly knows his stuff and can help you . Your local gun club or sporting goods outlet may be able to hook you up if you dont already have someone in mind. Use the data supplied by Ds28 and you will be fine . You may not have to push the envelope to get that sweetheart load you are lookin for . 10 SPOT
Go to Top of Page

cfvickers
Advanced Member

1893 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  20:44:03  Show Profile Send cfvickers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not really a beginner, Just with this gun and I have very little experience with these bullets, other than hunting with them. And then only with one rifle and on one deer. I have loaded for my .300 mag, 6.5x55 and a .308, always with a friends equipment. Mine is close to the same now. When I bought the equipment the guy threw in a pound of 4831SC and I had read that it works well in a 6.5-284, which i just got last year and haven't had a chance to shoot it but a few times. I build fly rods in the spring and summer and hunt and shoot in fall and winter. I have always loaded with data from a book or from this site, but couldn't find much on this combination. I am not experienced enough to know where to start though without asking someone more experienced. Thanks for the responses.
Go to Top of Page

cfvickers
Advanced Member

1893 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  20:58:20  Show Profile Send cfvickers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, I am not looking for anything screaming fast, I am simply after accuracy. My longest shot will be maybe 300 yards where I hunt, 150 is far more common. So, 3000 fps or more is not necessary.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06