Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 IMR 3450 or 4831?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Odd Six

34 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  21:58:46  Show Profile Send Odd Six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im loading A-Max 178gt bullets out a 26in varmint barrel.

IMR recs 4350, Hornady recs 4831.

Its a fine line between the two.

Im only using this pill, and shooting down the road a spell.

Let me know what you all think

"Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel"....recoil

kelbro

12 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  22:34:41  Show Profile Send kelbro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would use whichever one shoots the best. You really need to try them both. I have one .270 that prefers 4831 and one that prefers 4350.
Go to Top of Page

dmsbandit
Advanced Member

USA
1788 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  22:42:31  Show Profile  Send dmsbandit a Yahoo! Message Send dmsbandit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
H4831 tends to be more flexible with many different cartridges. If you're looking to keep your cost down, try the H4831.

I don't drink or smoke, I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Go to Top of Page

Odd Six

34 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  01:03:19  Show Profile Send Odd Six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kelbro

I would use whichever one shoots the best. You really need to try them both. I have one .270 that prefers 4831 and one that prefers 4350.

Yeah, thats what I figured. Ill get one can of each, as soon as any of my local stores get some in.

There is a shortage

Go to Top of Page

determined451
Advanced Member

973 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  12:46:38  Show Profile  Click to see determined451's MSN Messenger address  Send determined451 a Yahoo! Message Send determined451 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what caliber are you shooting these in?? D-451

The Second Amendment.. America's Original Homeland Security
Go to Top of Page

MIKESBARRO
Advanced Member

USA
2864 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  16:27:44  Show Profile Send MIKESBARRO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by determined451

what caliber are you shooting these in?? D-451

Now THAT'S a good question.

Mike

Awards are like hemmoroids......if you live long enough, every asshole gets one.
Go to Top of Page

IraqVet2003
Advanced Member

USA
1416 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  16:31:29  Show Profile Send IraqVet2003 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well given the OP other post I would say 30-06. Maybe, since he has stated thats the caliber for his 700 amd M1.
Go to Top of Page

MIKESBARRO
Advanced Member

USA
2864 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  17:58:15  Show Profile Send MIKESBARRO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IraqVet2003

Well given the OP other post I would say 30-06. Maybe, since he has stated thats the caliber for his 700 amd M1.

Why didn't I think if that

Awards are like hemmoroids......if you live long enough, every asshole gets one.
Go to Top of Page

Odd Six

34 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  18:02:43  Show Profile Send Odd Six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Forum name shoulda be the clue

Go to Top of Page

MIKESBARRO
Advanced Member

USA
2864 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  18:31:57  Show Profile Send MIKESBARRO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With that 26" barrel, the 4831 is slower, so you can get more into the load with the same pressure and probably squeeze a few more fps out of it. The difference wouldn't justify not using the 4350 if it shoots better though. All depends how far "down the road a spell" is and what you'll be shootint AT. The one that is more accurate might be the better choice for you.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

East Fork hunter
Average Member

USA
151 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  19:14:00  Show Profile Send East Fork hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Odd Six
with all due respect and no offense intended, this ain't a "mind readers" forum, cut to the chase and give the people that are willing to offer up info and suggestions some more relevant and specific information as to what you are trying to accomplish. The sharing of information/experience is a lot of fun....... but it is not a "guessing game"
Take care, East Fork
Go to Top of Page

Odd Six

34 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  21:51:33  Show Profile Send Odd Six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
East Fork

It wasnt meant to be a guessing game. I figured everyone would just understand. and I dont really give a rats ass.

If ya aint got nothing to say constructive, then dont say anything.

Go to Top of Page

Evad
Advanced Member

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  22:52:47  Show Profile Send Evad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I for one would like more information. What caliber? which 4831 are you talking about? H4831 or Imr 4831? Most of the people here would love to help you, but without information its kind of hard.
Dave

I never met a gun I didn't like.
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3362 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  00:50:12  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Odd Six

East Fork

It wasnt meant to be a guessing game. I figured everyone would just understand. and I dont really give a rats ass.

If ya aint got nothing to say constructive, then dont say anything.

I figured it might be the 30-06 but one never do know, do one?
Frankly, considering the bullet weight in question, and if you are shooting a 30-06, I believe I would consider one of the 4350's first and then one of the 4831's. Just remember, in both cases, the IMR versions will be a bit faster burning than the Hodgden's, even if Hodgden does control the market now with both the IMR and H versions.
In anyxcase, I would try both powders as see which deivers the best speed/accuracy combination and go with that.
No need to get testy though. Remember, the more details we get, the better answer we can give.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06