Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Savage rifles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2028 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  23:23:34  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, a while ago a friend of mine bought a Savage 111 in 7mm Rem mag. It was a combo with Weaver rings and bases, and a Simmons 3-9x40. He mentioned that he was having a hard time keeping the gun shooting where he wanted. The finger was pointed at the cheap scope and a Leupold rifleman 3-9x40 was mounted on top, with the same mounts and rings. I took the gun out today with a variety of loads I've shot through various 7mm rem mag rifles with success.
Bore sighting the rifle I was surprised to find that I didn't have enough windage adjustment to get me to the centre of my target. Shooting a few rounds confirmed this. 1-1/2" groups, 3 inches to the left of the bullseye. I suspect that the scope mount holes weren't drilled in line of the bore. Different, expensive Leupold mounts which have windage adjustments in them would fix this problem.

The stock was skinny, ugly, and unstable. The rifle kicked alot harder than my two 7mm rem mags. It was unpleasant to shoot. I had a bipod attached to the front swivel stud, and a bag under the rear. I was steady, but feel that the stock was flexing and touching the barrel at times. I like a synthetic stock for hunting, because they're durable, and weather tough. But this thing was a POS.

After a shot was taken, the bolt would pull the case out of the chamber, but no matter if the bolt was brought back swiftly and surely, or pulled back nicely, the case was not thrown free of the rifle.

The trigger was creepy and heavy. I'm sure the newer accutriggers are much better, but this was much worse than a Ruger trigger.

I've heard that these can be accurate rifles. I'm sure it could be, it seemed to be grouping well, and with some load work I'm sure it would shoot 1" or better. But I can't get over the poor quality of this rifle. I had a Browning Abolt in 7mm rem mag with me and a Rem 700 in 7mm-08 with me as well today. I'll never have a Savage rifle myself, besides my Savage 24. I hate being a grouch, but I was thoroughly disgusted with the 111. To make this a decent rifle would require a new stock, a trigger job, different scope mounts, and some work on the bolt/ejector. Might as well spend the money on a quality rifle to start with.

Sorry to any Savage fans, I'm just frustrated with trying to turn chicken $hit into chicken soup. Is this rifle a case on it's own, or is there many others with problems such as these? Again sorry to anybody who loves their Savage rifles, I am being a grump. Eric

I've never saw a hearse with a luggage rack....

WILLIAMDOERSAM

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  23:56:11  Show Profile Send WILLIAMDOERSAM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would you be so kind as to tell us how you really feel.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

BISCUT

3501 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  07:30:46  Show Profile Send BISCUT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure the one you were shooting was a POS. But, Savage has come a long way. I have a few and for 40% less than Remmy many will outshoot them. Now I love Remmy 2! CDL line is beautiful. Great lines, good piece walnut, perfect fit, machining excellent. But they dont come free-floated. Had to sand the ebony tipand just prior to that point.

I have to give tons of credit to Browning A-Bolts. I have 3 Medallions in 3 calibers -- cheaper than Remmy, all are free-floated and bedded from the factory! Not Remm, not Savage.

The tupperware stocks in new Savages are better, but not great. The older style flexed more than Tony Little
Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2028 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  08:43:55  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Bill, next time I'll get off the fence and say what's on my mind.

Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2028 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  09:23:45  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Biscut, I really like my Abolt too. But have you ever had a Browning BBR? They were before the Abolt, and they are a solid rifle. I have one in 25-06 and it is a good shooter, I'd like to get one for every chambering they made. I've got my eyes open.

Go to Top of Page

FALPhil
Advanced Member

621 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  10:22:48  Show Profile Send FALPhil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, that's OK man. That just leaves another Savage for those of us that appreciate them.

I do my own trigger jobs on Savages. The old style triggers really suck. If I turn the old-style trigger into a three-screw trigger and do a trigger job on it, I can get a 24 - 32 ounce pull, and it take me about an hour. You have to replace the spring with a smaller wire diameter. But I enjoy dong that kind of work.

I replaced my Savage stocks as well. I tend to buy the cheapest Savages I can find, because what I am really looking for is the action. The Savage action, trued up and timed, is still a lot cheaper (by half) of a Remington 700 that has not been touched, if you shop around for a used rifle. The last complete Savage long action I bought cost me $200 and that included a barrel nut wrench and a receiver wrench.

For you Savage fans, right now is a good time to be shopping for used rifles in pawn shops.

"No idea is so bad and fails so completely that you can't find academics and politicians attempting to repeat it on the grounds of it having been insufficiently implemented." -- Vox Day
Go to Top of Page

vmts4me

405 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  10:51:38  Show Profile Send vmts4me a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i keep hearing good stuff about them. I had one when I was 12 in .270 and something went wrong with the firing pin (no i dont remember exactly except that my gun wouldnt shoot anymore). My dad sent it back to savage and it took eternity to get it back. So I never went down that road again, but to those who like them, great. My hunting pard shoots one and 2 people filled an elk tag with it this year (not me!! Darn!!). However, many people customize them these days, and as I understand some of their heavy stuff is plenty accurate.
Go to Top of Page

BISCUT

3501 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  10:59:46  Show Profile Send BISCUT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never handled the Browning you mentioned. I do have a BAR and a BLR. They make some very good rifles.
Go to Top of Page

pphreed

316 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  11:26:00  Show Profile Send pphreed a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Eric I too am a savage fan but I do have one that has broken 2 ejector springs the second one is on its way from brownells it is on a 257 stw I built out of a stevens. I read on another site someone imbedded 2 push rods into the forearm with epoxy, Savage is now coming out with a aluminum skeliton inside the stock to solve that problem I alway work the non accutriger ones and some of the accutriggers I want a light pull on I have 300 wsm 204 308 tactical and 2 257 stws all are capable of sub 1/2 in groups oh yeah a 243 that has shoot 1/4 inch groups so for the cost I am satisfied 5 deer this year with one of the 257 stws Fred

Go to Top of Page

vmts4me

405 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  12:06:55  Show Profile Send vmts4me a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OT, biscut, PM coming.
Go to Top of Page

CR
Advanced Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  16:46:19  Show Profile Send CR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now Bill, I'm sure he's the only person with that opinion..CR
Go to Top of Page

Ds28

USA
3279 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  17:40:30  Show Profile Send Ds28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a model 116 to build a 300 rum or a 338 rum or maybe a 338 edge (as easy as it is to change barrels maybe all three)after the first of the year, got the whole gun for 250 if I can sell stock and barrel for a 100$ then I got the action for 150$

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Go to Top of Page

eric2381
Advanced Member

Canada
2028 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  18:36:57  Show Profile Send eric2381 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My father in law has a Savage 110 action he'd give me, and I was going to build a 338 Edge on it. But, I'm feeling soured, so I think I'll find another action to work with. Maybe one of the new Marlin bolt rifles would be another option. They use the barrel nut as well. I dunno, I've got too many other things on the go at the moment.

Thanks Savage fans for not jumping on me too badly. I'll leave the rifles for you to play with. Eric

Go to Top of Page

pphreed

316 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  20:30:25  Show Profile Send pphreed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric If you should decide to do a 338 edge you will probably have to open u[p the bottom of the reciever and lenghten the magazine box to get those long cartridges in it I did 2 257stws and had to do that then the other day I ran into a savage 300 rum that has the longer action the only one I know they make now is probably 375 h h Must have made 300 rum for only a short time I had never heard of it until it was on the used rack at local store we won't pick on you much over your opinion of our favatite luck Fred
Go to Top of Page

98 220 swift

67 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  10:58:24  Show Profile Send 98 220 swift a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also had a savage in 7mm rem mag. That gun kicked something terrible also I could not stand to shoot it so I got rid of it. There must be something with the way the stock is made. I now have a Weatherby Vangaurd in .300 WBY and can stand to shoot it. There was just something about that savage.
Go to Top of Page

kelbro

12 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  22:56:44  Show Profile Send kelbro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must be one lucky son-of-a-gun! I have four Savages (also a Rem700 and an A-Bolt) and none of them have any quality problems. .223, .243, 308, and 30-06. Easy to work loads up for them. Accurate. Yes, the tupperware stocks are not that great and they will not work with a bipod but the pillar bedding and freefloated barrels are enough to offset that.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06