Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Remington 750 question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dmsbandit
Advanced Member

USA
1788 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  10:48:43  Show Profile  Send dmsbandit a Yahoo! Message Send dmsbandit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of getting a Remington 750 carbine in 35 Whelen or 308 Win. Does anyone have any experience with this gun? I heard accuracy can be spotty, and the guns are a pain to keep shooting because of the gas system. Any advise or experiences would be helpful.

Thanks.

I don't drink or smoke, I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3632 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  11:46:49  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have also wondered about that rifle as well as the new Winchester semi. I sure wish I'd bought a Browning BAR in 338 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

IMR4350
Advanced Member

USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  14:58:16  Show Profile Send IMR4350 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Remington 750 is a real improvement over the past. I own a 750 carbine in 30-06. I got the 30-06 in carbine because the short barrel made it have 308 velocities and if I had purchased a 308 in the carbine I would have only had 300 Savage velocities.

My carbine is very accurate and a couple of groups with Remington 150gr factory ammo produce .587" and .569".

The carbine is very nice to handle and move around in tickets or on a deer stand and easy to carry feeling very balanced.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:

THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
THE HEART OF A CHILD
THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Edited by - IMR4350 on Dec 20 2008 18:54:57
Go to Top of Page

dmsbandit
Advanced Member

USA
1788 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  17:00:40  Show Profile  Send dmsbandit a Yahoo! Message Send dmsbandit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMR,
So the gun shoots well. Does it jam due to the gas system or is that not so much of an issue. I've heard that after a few boxes of ammo, it starts jamming.

Go to Top of Page

IMR4350
Advanced Member

USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  17:11:51  Show Profile Send IMR4350 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmsbandit

IMR,
So the gun shoots well. Does it jam due to the gas system or is that not so much of an issue. I've heard that after a few boxes of ammo, it starts jamming.

dmsbandit, it is not true that the gas system is and issue on the 750 because that is the major change from the past. I have fire 11 boxes of 30-06 factory rounds through the 750 just having fun and trying to see which factory ammo performed best. Now this is not counting the re-loads I have put through the rifle. I have never experienced a single miss hap or any problem with the New 750. Remington has increased the accuracy of their semi-auto as well as made it functionally sound. There are two other hunting friends of mine that bought one right after they saw mine and they have not experienced any trouble up to this point and one of them has fired his a lot more than I have fired mine.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:

THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
THE HEART OF A CHILD
THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS
Go to Top of Page

dmsbandit
Advanced Member

USA
1788 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  18:19:47  Show Profile  Send dmsbandit a Yahoo! Message Send dmsbandit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great to hear that. I feel better now about dropping $700 on a new gun. Thanks IMR.

Go to Top of Page

bender

Croatia
36 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  05:15:24  Show Profile Send bender a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I understand rem 750 is redesigned 7400. I had synthetic 7400 in 30-06 and it didn't jam even once. I shot only the cheapest ammo available to me - Igman 180gr soft points. Accuracy wasn't great, shots tend to rise as the gun warmed up,trigger is horrible,but I could live with that because it was my brush gun and most shots were under 50 yards. The key to reliable operation is to clean the chamber religiously after firing,and to keep it dry.
Go to Top of Page

IMR4350
Advanced Member

USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  15:07:14  Show Profile Send IMR4350 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bender

As I understand rem 750 is redesigned 7400. I had synthetic 7400 in 30-06 and it didn't jam even once. I shot only the cheapest ammo available to me - Igman 180gr soft points. Accuracy wasn't great, shots tend to rise as the gun warmed up,trigger is horrible,but I could live with that because it was my brush gun and most shots were under 50 yards. The key to reliable operation is to clean the chamber religiously after firing,and to keep it dry.

The 750 is not like the 7400, I hunted in the rain and sleet all day one day last year and at about 4.45pm I fired at a doe and hit her and everything was just fine. The 750 is really an improvement over the past.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:

THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
THE HEART OF A CHILD
THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS
Go to Top of Page

bender

Croatia
36 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2008 :  17:31:38  Show Profile Send bender a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The 750 is not like the 7400, I hunted in the rain and sleet all day one day last year and at about 4.45pm I fired at a doe and hit her and everything was just fine. The 750 is really an improvement over the past.

I meant too keep the chamber dry of oil sorry if I wasn't clear I hunted wild boar with dogs regularly in worst conditions so falling with the rifle and snow and mud in the barrel were normal. It functioned flawlessly but it required good cleaning after the hunt to keep it running and to keep the rust away and that is sometimes not easily done when you are not at home, so I sold it.
Go to Top of Page

dmsbandit
Advanced Member

USA
1788 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  17:50:18  Show Profile  Send dmsbandit a Yahoo! Message Send dmsbandit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I just put a 750 carbine in 308 on layaway yesterday. I got the synthetic stocked version and hope to use it this fall hunting some new property. I was thinking about a 2-7x32 scope for the thick woods and swamps. Does anyone out there have any thoughts on power ranges for scopes on this type on gun? Would I be better off with a 3-9x40, 2-7x32 or something else. I want to keep it light and handy for the quick shots that will come on this property.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06