Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Difference in bullet speed with temperature
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scottish7161
Average Member

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  22:30:03  Show Profile Send scottish7161 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I'm wondering how much you've found temperature to play a part in changing the speed of your handloaded ammunition. One of my loads decreased 100 FPS when the temp dropped from 32 degrees to 27 degrees F. Pretty amazing what 5 degrees did. It's been pretty cold, so I'm wondering how much faster that load will be when the temp increases even more like summer time temps of > 100 degrees.

Got-R-Did
Advanced Member

969 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  23:16:35  Show Profile Send Got-R-Did a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just one of the laws of physics with standard propellants. Hodgdon with their "Extreme" and I believe Western Ramshot propellants have come up with modified chemical makeups that significantly reduce sensitivity to temperature changes in relation to performance. That is, you can sight in your deer rifle with loads that are safe on a 95 degree Summer day, and when the time comes to take a shot on a Whitetail in late November and 15 degrees, you can expect your velocity, and therefore your zero, to be vitually unchanged. At least that is my experience.
Got-R-Did

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

SMACK

USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  23:48:28  Show Profile  Visit SMACK's Homepage Send SMACK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shooting a .308 Baer at a 1000 yards, well my target sits at a 1011 due to the terrain. I base my loads/zero off of a standard temp of 68 degrees. I keep my standard load and 3 others with same bullet, brass and primer just progressively smaller powder charges in 1gr increments. I just drop one grain of powder for every 10 degrees above 68. It has works great and I didn't figure it out myself, that info came from about a 3 hour conversation I had with Bruce Baer. When that man gave me the run down on 1000 yard shooting I just kept my mouth shut and took it all in. Just wish I could have taken notes. I don't think in a hunting situation at standard hunting ranges the temp/impact difference would matter enough on big game.

A government large enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Go to Top of Page

dtknowles

201 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  21:59:35  Show Profile Send dtknowles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would really like more info to help understand. In both cases (32 and 27 degrees) were both the ammo and the gun at ambient temperature. How many shots did you shoot at each temperature. Did you let the gun cool back down to ambient between shots.
Go to Top of Page

scottish7161
Average Member

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  23:13:28  Show Profile Send scottish7161 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response. The gun and the ammo were both at ambient temperature and appox 20 shots each (different days & same ammo) were fired. I did not let the gun cool down inbetween shots - they were all fired approx within 30 secs to 1 min from each other.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06