Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Muzzle Brakes and increased velocity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  20:38:02  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a friends rifle that I will be loading for, and it sports a muzzle brake. I have seen and heard claims if increased velocity when using one. Why? The one on this particular rifle isn't rifled and is larger than bore size. I don't have any experience with brakes, and don't know if ANY of them are rifled or equal to bore size. Seems to me it doesn't increase barrel length in the technical scense. Reduced pressures? Kinda doubt that. Soooo, do they increase velocity or not? mtmuley

Ds28

USA
3279 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  20:59:12  Show Profile Send Ds28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
don't know about the velocity, but wear hearing protection they are hell on the ears

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Go to Top of Page

lefty o
Advanced Member

USA
990 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  21:17:18  Show Profile Send lefty o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
never heard of a brake increaing velocity, but they darned sure do increase the muzzle blast.
Go to Top of Page

coyoteklr
Advanced Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  23:21:10  Show Profile Send coyoteklr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHAT DID YOU GUYS SAY?

The first taste of Texas still lingers in my heart and on my tongue.

FASTER HORSES

Go to Top of Page

45cal

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  11:28:45  Show Profile Send 45cal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know about velocity but on the 7MM accuremark ,the accuracy sure suffered.Caused me to go out and buy some more guns and I still don't have a tack driver again.
Go to Top of Page

CR
Advanced Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  17:22:08  Show Profile Send CR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally from what I've seen they decrease the velocity very slightly or they don't mess with it at all. I've never seen one increase the velocity..CR
Go to Top of Page

LR SHOOTER

USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  18:57:33  Show Profile Send LR SHOOTER a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two warbirds one with a brake and on without, velocity is within 20 fps for the average with the same 180gr accubond load. also have a 6mm arnold that has a removable brake and a threaded cap for use without the brake.I have shot ot with and without the brake and there is no difference in velocity but it does effect the accuracy of each load groups are not the same size with the brake or without.I have a load for with the brake and one for without.hope this helps. LR
Go to Top of Page

SMACK

USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  19:21:00  Show Profile  Visit SMACK's Homepage Send SMACK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have shot many different brakes and use only Vais Arms brakes now, from light sporter .243's to heavy Tactical's in .300 Win mag. I have tested these rifles with the brakes on and with them off out to 600 yards there is no noticeable difference in the group size or bullet impact/point of aim. Having a brake installed is like purchasing a rifle, most times than not you get what you pay for. If a guy wants to go to Joe Shmoe gunsmith and pay 75.00 bucks or so for his custom so called brake more times than not it's just a hole pattern, it is not well designed and most times than not the holes are not semetrical so the gases do not dissipate equally as the bullet leaves the barrel and this causes accuracy to suffer. A quality brake by a reputable maker installed by a quality gun smith will perform flawlessly. I had a McMillan 6.5-.284 Tactical with a Vais Arms brake that with or without the brake held same point of impact and averaged 7" 5 shot groups at a 1000 yards with several different nuts behind the trigger.

A government large enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Go to Top of Page

mtmuley
Advanced Member

USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  21:52:39  Show Profile Send mtmuley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I kinda figured exactly what you guys have reinforced. My buddy has no experience with handloading or any kind of knowledge as far as ballistics. But he had info from a gunsmith. mtmuley
Go to Top of Page

ranger335v
Advanced Member

1633 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  14:57:50  Show Profile Send ranger335v a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No muzzle brake can possibly increase velocity. In fact, it won't change velocity IF we count barrel length to the first gas port to the brake. All the rest of the brake can do is direct gas pressre to the side, not any usuable effect on the bullet.

I mean, screw a 5 inch muzzle brake on a 22 inch barrel and you still have a 22 inch barrel, not a 27 incher.

- Common sense is an uncommon quality -
Go to Top of Page

coyoteklr
Advanced Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  16:52:11  Show Profile Send coyoteklr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I put one on my swift and it didn't effect accur. or speed

The first taste of Texas still lingers in my heart and on my tongue.

FASTER HORSES

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06