Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Pentax Pioneer scopes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andersm1142
Average Member

179 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  14:26:35  Show Profile Send andersm1142 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just heard today that Pentax brand scopes are made by Burris and the Pioneer line of pentax scopes are the exact thing as the Burris Fullfield scopes. They look exactly the same and have the exact same specs and warranty. I also found out that Pentax scopes are serviced at Burris. I could not get a official answer on whether Burris actiually makes them or not. Has anyone else heard anything on this?

Crazybastard1983
Average Member

Canada
196 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  14:38:17  Show Profile  Click to see Crazybastard1983's MSN Messenger address Send Crazybastard1983 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I understand Burris makes Pentax. They are both located in the same building in Colorado. The lenses are ground in Japan and then sent to Burris to be assebled.

Just from what I read a few months back on a different site.

CB 83

Just Another Krazy Canadian Eh!!

A person who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders!
Go to Top of Page

andersm1142
Average Member

179 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  15:25:06  Show Profile Send andersm1142 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a internet company called fox optics that is selling the Pentax Pioneer 4.5-14x42 with the ballistic plex reticle for $199 shipped. This would make a great elk gun scope. The Burris model equivilent for this is currently selling for $350 at Cabelas. If in fact the Pentax is the same exact scope but with just a different name, I'm never buying a Burris scope again. Same scope for a heck of a lot less money. They are also selling the 3-9x40 model for $150 shipped. That same Burris scope goes for around $200.
Go to Top of Page

Crazybastard1983
Average Member

Canada
196 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  16:57:30  Show Profile  Click to see Crazybastard1983's MSN Messenger address Send Crazybastard1983 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well from what I uderstood pentax supplies the lenses and Burris puts them together. Which makes sense to me Pentax is a company that deals with lenses all time from optics to cameras and so on.

I dont know for sure if burris scopes have pentax lenses but I have read that the base features are identical but they are different slightly by recticles and other tiny features..

That is all I have and know about the situation you can decide from there.

CB 83

A person who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders!
Go to Top of Page

dmsbandit
Advanced Member

USA
1788 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  17:32:43  Show Profile  Send dmsbandit a Yahoo! Message Send dmsbandit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just bought a Pentax Gameseeker 4-12x40 scope with a ballistic reticle and a set of 10x42 binos for $159 at the Sportmansguide. I put it on my 6.5x55 and hope to get to the range this weekend to sight it in. The scope and binos look very good and should serve me well for years to come.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=510466

I don't drink or smoke, I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Go to Top of Page

romex2121

USA
371 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  07:49:54  Show Profile Send romex2121 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by dmsbandit

(I just bought a Pentax Gameseeker 4-12x40 scope with a ballistic reticle and a set of 10x42 binos for $159 at the Sportmansguide.)

please let us know what you think of this package, i had thought about buying but was unsure of the quality.

speaking out aginst political wrong doing is not only your right,, its also your duty !!!

Edited by - romex2121 on Mar 13 2009 07:51:10
Go to Top of Page

pphreed

316 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  08:45:59  Show Profile Send pphreed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also I don't know how wide spread the scheels sporting goods chain is but they told me there scopes were made by pentax
Go to Top of Page

dmsbandit
Advanced Member

USA
1788 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  09:10:50  Show Profile  Send dmsbandit a Yahoo! Message Send dmsbandit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by romex2121

[quote]Originally posted by dmsbandit

(I just bought a Pentax Gameseeker 4-12x40 scope with a ballistic reticle and a set of 10x42 binos for $159 at the Sportmansguide.)

please let us know what you think of this package, i had thought about buying but was unsure of the quality.

My initial impression are very good. They give you a chart to explain the ballistic reticle and it seems easy enough. I have used the binos in low light around the house checking out critters and they seem very bright and clear for the price. They are also quite small in size. No bigger than a slice of bread and about 2.5" thick. If it matters at all, I know Sportmansguide has an excellent return policy. If I get to shoot this weekend, I'll report back to all.

I don't drink or smoke, I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Go to Top of Page

vmts4me

405 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  11:04:36  Show Profile Send vmts4me a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a buddy who is a pentax rep. I will shoot him an email and pose the first post to him.
Go to Top of Page

romex2121

USA
371 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  13:05:37  Show Profile Send romex2121 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks dmsbandit for your initial review i look forward to your overall comments on the scope

speaking out aginst political wrong doing is not only your right,, its also your duty !!!
Go to Top of Page

FALPhil
Advanced Member

621 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  17:34:29  Show Profile Send FALPhil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Pioneer line is roughly equivalent to the Fullfield line and the Lightseeker line is somewhere between the Signature and the Diamond lines. As has already been stated, the lenses are ground in Japan. But they are not shipped to Burris. They are shipped to Burris' contract job shop in the Philippines for assembly. Unbeknownst to most people, the vast maority of Leupold scopes are also assembled by a contract job shop in the Philippines.

When you start investigating optics manufacturing, you end up finding out that there are about a dozen cities in the world where 80% of the optics in the world are made or assembled.

"No idea is so bad and fails so completely that you can't find academics and politicians attempting to repeat it on the grounds of it having been insufficiently implemented." -- Vox Day
Go to Top of Page

WILLIAMDOERSAM

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  19:00:17  Show Profile Send WILLIAMDOERSAM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was in SEA as a participant of the War Games in the early '60's the most sought after Cameras were Leica/ Minolta, in a dead heat and Honeywell/Pentax.

Third place went to Kodak for their Motormatic, it took pictures as fast as you could push the button.

High quality Japanese glass is just that, high quality, fact is the Germans even traded secret for secret with the Japanese on glass grinding,coating and polishing.

The Japanese are very good at what they do. You want a $1k piece of glass, they can do that. You want $39 piece of glass they can do that also. But they are not going to be the same.

Pentax has been in the optics business a long time and they picked a niche market for their products, the "average hunter" that shoots his gun a couple of times a year, maybe. He doesn't need a scope that he can see a Gorrila in a coal mine at midnight at 1000 yards with no lighting. He wants something that will bring the game a little closer and a decent picture.

If you need more than what I just described I suggest you look at the middle of the line cheaper Night Forces and Schmidt and Benders. Any thing less won't satisfy you.

Best wishes, Bill
Go to Top of Page

andersm1142
Average Member

179 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  20:12:54  Show Profile Send andersm1142 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phil, when you say the Pentax pioneer line is roughly equivalent to Burris fullfield, what exactly do you mean? What are the differences? I would like to know because I am getting ready to buy a Pentax Pioneer 3-9x40 with the BDC. The best I could do for the Burris equivalent is about $180 on E-bay. I would gladly pay the extra $30 if the Burris is better quality, but on the other hand, I would certaiantly keep my $30 if there is no real difference.
Go to Top of Page

Crazybastard1983
Average Member

Canada
196 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  20:53:35  Show Profile  Click to see Crazybastard1983's MSN Messenger address Send Crazybastard1983 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have a sale on some Pentax products I dont know if the prices are good or not but have a look

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/search/search.asp?r=MainHeader+KW+Box&a=browse&k=pentax+scopes

They are having a sale on loaded ammo also

CB 83

Go to Top of Page

Wrass

USA
393 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  22:15:18  Show Profile Send Wrass a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been to the Burris Plant in Greely Colorado. Toured it and had lunch with the CEO. I saw the scopes being built, tested and packaged. They make everything but the Full Field II LIne in Greely colorado. Their Sig Select and Black Diamond and scopes are made in Greely and built by a bunch of women. They service everyting there.
I also played with the machine that test them and it is a 55 lb weight with a scope clamped to it nad it is raised about 5 feet and dropped. Thud. Thud Thud Thud.

The CEO alos told me that he shoots the FFII on all of his rifles for what its worth.

Wrass

Persistence pays
Go to Top of Page

WILLIAMDOERSAM

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  01:04:00  Show Profile Send WILLIAMDOERSAM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrass

I have been to the Burris Plant in Greely Colorado. Toured it and had lunch with the CEO. I saw the scopes being built, tested and packaged. They make everything but the Full Field II LIne in Greely colorado. Their Sig Select and Black Diamond and scopes are made in Greely and built by a bunch of women. They service everyting there.
I also played with the machine that test them and it is a 55 lb weight with a scope clamped to it nad it is raised about 5 feet and dropped. Thud. Thud Thud Thud.

The CEO alos told me that he shoots the FFII on all of his rifles for what its worth.

Wrass

Wrass

I have a Signature Select 6-24 Mil Dot and it's a great scope. It's on my 22-250AI with a 1>8 twist for heavy bullets. I shot a song dog at almost 500yds with it a few years ago.

It came into a call but then my breath was bad or my antiperspirant failed it it scented me. It took off running for all it was worth.

I guess it figured it was out of range and done the typical "can't get me now" look and thats when I blasted it. That 80 grainer left it breathless.

Best wishes, Bill

Edited by - WILLIAMDOERSAM on Mar 14 2009 01:07:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06