Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 .308 Win, Speer 150 gr Hot-Cor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shawn Watkins

26 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  10:18:30  Show Profile  Visit Shawn Watkins's Homepage Send Shawn Watkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this is my first post on the nest!! This site is unbelievable!! I have been lurking for a while now..

Does anyone have a recipe for 150 grn speer hot-cor's in the .308 win?? I have nosler books, hornady books but no speer loading manual.. I could start with some recipes in the nosler book and work my way up in charge. but, better be safe than sorry!!

also, is there any bullet manufacturer out there that produces a ballistic tip bullet with out a boat tail in the .308 cailber??? most of my shots are under 300 yards and I find that boat tail design bullets to be no use to me... I like the flat base design, just a tad more grip to the rifling. or am I completely wrong on this assesment?? correct me if I am wrong....

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2493 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  13:22:58  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shawn

Welcome to the "Nest".

I have used 47.0 grains of Hodgdon Varget powder with 150 grain Speer Grand Slams, Hornady Spire Point Interlocks and Nosler Ballistic Tips in Rem and Win cases with CCI-250 Mag primers. Premium bullets with a lot of copper to them back off one grain of powder.

As far as flat base bullets are concerned I believe they grip the lead core better for on game performance than Boattails. With a Premium Bonded bullet Boattails will hold together just as well.

Use a Nosler 150 grain Ballistic Tip (green Tip) for load development, practice and Varmint hunting and load the Nosler Accubond (white Tip & cost a bit more) for hunting with the same powder charge for the same point of impact.

Stick around,

Bobo

Go to Top of Page

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
3494 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  13:57:13  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SW,

Ditto on Bobo's Welcome...

I've got the 14th Speer handy, so name a powder(s) and I can give you some numbers from that to add to your data.

ten

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Watkins

26 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  15:46:33  Show Profile  Visit Shawn Watkins's Homepage Send Shawn Watkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have experimented with the 125 grn nosler ballistic tips with N140 and couldnt get anything i liked.. the 150 accubonds grouped very well at 100 yards for me.. I shot a few deer with them and didnt like how the bullet expanded to my velocities.. I believe the accubonds are suited for a higher velocity round, out of my .308 they didnt seem to open up to my liking. I shot many buckets of sand and dirt with the Accubonds and they never really mushroomes. More like the point was crushed down and split the copper to one side.. I had clean pass threws on deer behind the shoulders and the deer would run 20-40 steps, then crumple. I never had a dear run on me with soft points. I believe the Accubonds with their thicker jackets are well suted for magnum calibers, just not with a .308 win.

My dad loves the speer hot-cors threw his .270 and -06. My comfort zone for a kill is 300 yards and under.. anything out past that I feel I would make an unethical shot, I am just not that advanced or comfortable shooting those distances.

I am very interested in Varget for the Hot-cors, so any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Edited by - Shawn Watkins on Aug 20 2010 15:48:33
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3210 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  16:02:13  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome. One word of advice on the Speer Hot-Core bullets. If that one does well for you, buy up all you can afford. Speer is discontinuing the Hot-Core line. The bullet I prefer in the .308 Win. is the Speer 165 gr. Hot-Core. I use 49.0 gr. of W-760 with Winchester brass and WLR primer. Be advised that this is a maximum load in my rifle and I strongly suggest starting at least two gr. below that load and work up. My rifle is a Ruger M77 RSI tang safety gun with an 18.5" barrel. Velocity by chronograph is 2550 FPS from that short barrel. The load is also safe in a Winchester M70 with 22" barrel and velocity from that gun is 2610 FPS. That same load though in a tight chambered custom mauser will lock of the bolt tighter than tick on a hound dog which I why I state to start at least two grains below my load if you decide on a 165 gr. bullet.
FWIW, most of my shots have been under 100 yards with that load some as close as 35 feet. The longest shot was 250 yards at a good sized Mule Deer. It was facing me anf I hit it just below where the neck joins the body. I recovered that bullet against a back leg where it stopped bcause it hit the leg bone, breaking the bone. That's been the only bullet I've recovered using that load as all the rest were complete pass thoughs. I much prefer the 165 gr. bullet because I've found that if you don't get a perect broadside shot and tou hit a shoulder that the 165 gr. bullets don't ruin quite so much eating meat. For that same reason, I use 180 gr. bullets in the 30-06.
The .308 is an easy round to load for with many powders being usable. One that seems to be getting a lot of attention is RL-15. I'm trying that powder in my custom tight chambered .308 and the first trials show some promise. I'm using the 165 gr. Sierra BTHP Game King for that load. The first trials are hovering in the MOA range so far.
when I moved from Nevada to Arizona, I had a 150 gr. bullet load with the 150 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunters. Some of my stuff disappeared in the move including about 35 years worth of reloading notes in bunders so I don't have the data dor that load. However, the powder was H-335.
I made a 426 pace shot on a running Mule Deer my hunting partner had wounded and dropped it with that load.
THe .308 will reach out an touch something. I like it.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
3494 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  17:22:07  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Speer (14th) manual has the following Varget load recommendations:

.308 Win
150 gr Speer Hot-Core Spitzer SP
Varget, Starting charge: 43.0 gr, 2632 fps; Max charge: 47.0 gr (compressed), 2856 fps
COAL tested: 2.700"

Let us know how it works.

ten

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Watkins

26 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  17:34:18  Show Profile  Visit Shawn Watkins's Homepage Send Shawn Watkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much!! I will let you know!!
Go to Top of Page

lightman
Advanced Member

1132 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  22:05:13  Show Profile Send lightman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Shawn,Welcome to The Nest!I have shot deer from the South,the West,and Canada with the 150 gr Sierra,if you don't try Varget or IMR-4064 with your Speer you are missing out on something!There are lots of other good combos,but these two just plain work! Lightman
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2493 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  19:57:51  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shawn

The Hornady Interbond is a Plastic Tip Bonded bullet that expands to a very large diameter mushroom, much larger than the Accubond. I have personnally dug one out of a WT Deer I shot going almost straight away and found it in front of the shoulder under the skin. It retained 119 grains of the original 154 that it started out with.

Good loadin and shootin,

Bobo
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Watkins

26 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  10:43:24  Show Profile  Visit Shawn Watkins's Homepage Send Shawn Watkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the advise guys. I am going to hijack my own thread. going back to the accubonds. I think they are terrific bullets but not for a .308 win. I have shot 3 different hogs with them last summer and the entrance wound was the same size as the exit wound(always a chase). they are almost like shooting a FMJ bullet. here is one of many bullets I have dug out of my pond dam.

I appologize for the photo was not in focus.. but you get the idea..

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06