Q&A
 Christmas...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kgarbs12
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  22:58:48  Show Profile Send Kgarbs12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I don't even know if I'm in the right place, but I'm looking to buy a reloading press for my boyfriend for christmas. He's talked about getting one for years and he's not expecting to get one, but Id like to do this for him. We shoot pretty often do I feel like this is a pretty practical gift.

So anyway I'm thinking about the Hornady Lock n load progressive press. Can I get some opinions on this particular press? Maybe help me figure out what all I need to get him to get him started. I'm just wanting a little guidance in this whole new world I'm stepping in to.

Any help is definitely appreciated!

EnglishTom
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
767 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  03:19:52  Show Profile  Click to see EnglishTom's MSN Messenger address Send EnglishTom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loading manuals first, and remember a press alone is useless, you need scales, dies, good callipers, a host of bits and bobs and somewhere solid to mount the press. Lots of set up vids on you tube, watch a few and take notes.
I use a Lee 4 hole turret for pistol ammo and a s/stage Lee breechlock for rifle, neither was expensive and do a first class job once set up properly
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  07:07:34  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you shoot ? Rifle, pistol etc..
What Cartridges ?
I started with the RCBS Rockchucker supreme "kit" single stage press, the kit came with a reloading Manual, came with a beam scale and a powder dispenser, a chamfer/deburr bit, a roll pad and sizing wax, a cartridge tray, and a thing or two that I don't remember. I bought a case trimmer, hornady "One shot" spray case lube (even tho the rcbs came with wax and a roll pad), Got some RCBS dies, some primers powder bullets and started reading the reloading manual, cause it tells you everything you need to know about reloading, from the bench to the range.

Treat that trigger like it’s your first date, not like you’ve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

Kgarbs12
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  10:11:57  Show Profile Send Kgarbs12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He buys trades and sells guns all of the time. But the calibers we've always got are 44 mag, 45 auto, 35 rem, 30-06, and 9mm luger.
Go to Top of Page

DUSTY NOGGIN
Advanced Member

USA
761 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  21:15:10  Show Profile Send DUSTY NOGGIN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
whats your bugdet ???

45 and 9 are asking for a progressive - id go dillon .. but thats me

Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  21:48:45  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't recommend a progressive press for a new handloader. Dusty said it right. What is you budget?. You can get started for under $150.00 with a LEE starter set.
Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  09:56:52  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too agree that a single stage press is the best for learning the art of reloading.

Attention to detail is KEY when handloading our own cartridges along with triple checking everything every step of the process, therefore a progressive press is best for those who already know the ins and outs of rolling your own.

Having a FEEL for all the tools from the powder dispenser to the press ram and everything in between is just as important for safety and quality, and a single stage press gives us more of that feel for what's going on.

Maybe you have a friend who's been handloading on a progressive for many moons and is willing to sit many days with you while you advance your reloading knowledge and skills, in that case a progressive would be ok to start with.

Keeping things simple is the best way to learn and above all, the safest.

Treat that trigger like it’s your first date, not like you’ve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  21:40:48  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been using single stage presses for better than 50 years. I have been satisfied with them for just as long. I also load just about the same calibers as the OP with the exception of the 35 Rem., plus some more.
Go to Top of Page

ten2six
Advanced Member

USA
4023 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2015 :  11:21:58  Show Profile Send ten2six a Private Message  Reply with Quote
++ to starting with a single stage press and a few manuals.

Lots of starter kits from all the manufacturers...Redding, Hornady, RCBS, Lee, Lyman, Forster, etc...

They'll have the basics for starting out, and I'm sure he'll add tools and other supplies as he goes, but a single stage press will allow him to learn the process one step at a time. You can still produce a bunch of ammo with a single stage press, and unless you're shooting 1000's of rounds a year, will serve him well. Every caliber will need dies and supplies, so it's also a more economical choice when starting out and having to buy other stuff.

My suggestion, visit MidwayUSA website and view 'reloading press' search results. Once you decide on what you're going to buy, search around for the best price. Luckily, most of the big manufacturers of reloading equipment are here in the U.S. Hopefully you'll find a kit that fits your budget.

He's a lucky man...

"Chances are, when we meet intelligent life forms in outer space, they're going to be descended from predators."
- Michio Kaku

Edited by - ten2six on Oct 24 2015 11:23:43
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06