Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Thoughts on .222 Remington?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

339 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  21:44:00  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of you may remember from some of my posts that I seem to like somewhat obscure, not real common, and close to bing obsolete calibers. Some of the ones I currently have are the .225 Winchester, the .244 Remington, the .35 Remington, and the 7x57 Mauser. I have been thinking about adding the .222 Remington to my collection. BTW, I shoot all of the rifles I own as well as reload for them; I just don't collect them.
Anyway, what are your thoughts, and do any of you have one and reload for it? How do heavier bullets such as 60 and 65 grain bullets perform in the .222?
7x57guy

49willys
Average Member

78 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  21:53:52  Show Profile Send 49willys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My dad used to have an old Rem. in tripple duece.that factory remington shot
1/2" groups all day.

Earth first,we'll log the other planets later.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

339 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  22:02:09  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry, double post

Edited by - n/a on Mar 21 2012 22:04:03
Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3670 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  22:16:00  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two of them. The 222 is noted for accuracy and for being easy to load for. It was one of the finest cartridges ever developed. I think Mike Walker at Remington championed the cartridge. I am still using IMR 4198 powder for mine. I get way under half inch groups. The 223 is a bit faster but I love the 222. It is a mild and nice cartridge. It's still my favorite. With new powders, my velocities can bettered. I stick to my old load. I've sent thousands of prarie dogs to heaven via the 222.
Go to Top of Page

NHblaze

USA
276 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  07:56:06  Show Profile Send NHblaze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of the old 222's were a 1 in 14 twist so most of the
longer and heavier bullets don't stabalize.
No problem the 40-55 work just fine.

You never find much brass for them anymore, it's all .223 now.

Ruger Blackhawk proudly
made in Newport NH
Go to Top of Page

SWABBY56
Advanced Member

USA
731 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  08:11:40  Show Profile Send SWABBY56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My cousin uses that gun alone for deer for over 40 years now. He gets his brass from Midsouth shooters supply, I am attaching alink that says they have some brass in stock right now. He said he sticks to the 50 and 55 grain bullets and that they perform well. Check out this link for brass. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=RELOADING&dept2=RIFLE+BRASS&dept3=222+REMINGTON&sortItem=Newest

You also might want to try Powder Valley Inc, They alsways seem to have alot of the stuff you might need.

Edited by - SWABBY56 on Mar 22 2012 09:43:40
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang
Advanced Member

3344 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  10:01:06  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage Send Wolfgang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I still have a set or two of dies, can't remember if I sold them or not. I had a couple with 1:14 twist, they work great with 40-45gr jacketed bullets. You can also turn the velocity down and run 50-65gr cast/swaged bullets too.

Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."
Harry S. Truman
mark@fire-iron.biz

Go to Top of Page

ethmoid1999
Advanced Member

USA
3670 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  10:04:19  Show Profile Send ethmoid1999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I grew up on a Remington 700 ADL in 222. 6X Weaver Scope. Eyes were good then but the little rifle would shoot 3/8 if I did my part. I used Remington brass, Remington 71/2 primers and for 50 grain Sierra Spitzers 20 grains of IMR 4198. With Sierra 55 grain Spitzers I used 19.5 grains of IMR 4198. It was the only rifle I had for many years and I could do good work with it. I still have it and it'll go to my GrandDaughter. Like Swabby56 says, there is brass. I normally get many reloads out of brass but I neck size only after it's fired in my particular rifle.
Go to Top of Page

NHblaze

USA
276 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  15:21:37  Show Profile Send NHblaze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I say it's hard to find brass I only meant
in the "brass scrounge" mode, like pick ups at the range.

.222 Rem Brass is easy to find compared to my .25 Rem brass
and yes I know where you can BUY that also.

Ruger Blackhawk proudly
made in Newport NH
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

339 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  19:58:22  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went ahead and bought the .222. It is in a Model 788 Remington. It must be an older 788 as it had the real walnut stock. I had a 788 in .243 many years ago (it was stolen and now I feel like I am replacing it in a way) and it was very accurate. I should have it in about a week or so. I will let you know how I like it (but I like it already). Thanks for all of your positive posts. You all talked me into buying it.
7x57guy
Go to Top of Page

southdakbearfan

USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  20:55:32  Show Profile Send southdakbearfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 3 of them, two old savages and one old rem 722 or 21, can't remember whichever is the short action, damn mind is getting old.

All shoot really well but you do have to play with the forearm pressure on the savages.

Brass isn't too hard to obtain, especially if you don't mind a bit of work and convert 223's to 222's.

Mine all like the 40 gr NBT's and V-max's.

My daughter got her first deer last year shooting my Rem loaded with 70 gr speer semi spitzers. They will stabilize in most 222's due to shape and the shortness of the bullet (they are about as long as a 55 grain NBT). Broke both shoulders and out the other side at 60 yds.

Mainly they are my most used PD guns.

I load BLC2 and IMR4198 in mine for the PD rounds and IMR4895 for the Speer 70 gr.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang
Advanced Member

3344 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  22:00:50  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage Send Wolfgang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check the gunshows for brass, most of it has been sitting for a while and sellers get tired of lugging the same old stuff from show to show ... it's not a big seller so you'll have bargaining power.

Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."
Harry S. Truman
mark@fire-iron.biz

Go to Top of Page

william4440
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  23:12:28  Show Profile  Visit william4440's Homepage Send william4440 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by southdakbearfan

I have 3 of them, two old savages and one old rem 722 or 21, can't remember whichever is the short action, damn mind is getting old.

All shoot really well but you do have to play with the forearm pressure on the savages.

Brass isn't too hard to obtain, especially if you don't mind a bit of work and convert 223's to 222's.

Mine all like the 40 gr NBT's and V-max's.

My daughter got her first deer last year shooting my Rem loaded with 70 gr speer semi spitzers. They will stabilize in most 222's due to shape and the shortness of the bullet (they are about as long as a 55 grain NBT). Broke both shoulders and out the other side at 60 yds.

Mainly they are my most used PD guns.

I load BLC2 and IMR4198 in mine for the PD rounds and IMR4895 for the Speer 70 gr.

Go to Top of Page

william4440
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  23:18:56  Show Profile  Visit william4440's Homepage Send william4440 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
19 grs IMR 4198 and a 50 gr bullet out of a rem 721 won me a lot of matches 50 yrs ago.
It will still win matches today as well as being an excellent varmint rifle. grab it.
william4440
Go to Top of Page

Bad Flynch

USA
297 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  10:19:12  Show Profile Send Bad Flynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 1970s, I had a Remington 40XB-BR Light Varmint rifle from Mike Walker's shop at Ilion. It had a 24X Remington scope on it. In .222 Rem, It would shoot under 1/4" groups all day long with 19.2 grains of H4198, Remingon 7.5 primers, and the Sierra 52 grain HPBT. If I stuck Speer 52 grain HPs in it, the rifle would shoot 1.25" groups all day long. Moral: find the bullet your rifle likes.

More directly to answer your question: the 14" twist used in these rifles is unsuited to any bullets heavier than 55 grains and the cartridge is not fast enough to make up for the slow twist. More importantly, this is a relatively low intensity cartridge, one of the reasons for its accuracy, and will not push heavy bullets all that fast anyway.

B.F.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

339 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  20:29:35  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the .222 788 Remington. Yeah!!!! It is a nice rifle. I also bought a pile of brass from the once fired brass monkey guys, and a set of used but not abused Herters dies for $9.00 off the bay. I will load up some ammo this weekend and shoot it next week sometime. Will post a range report.
7x57guy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06