Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 6mm Rem & Reloader 26 & 95 grain pill ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

herbeapuce
Average Member

Canada
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2017 :  20:43:26  Show Profile Send herbeapuce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. I have 2 pounds of Reloader 26 that I would like to try in my 6mm rem. there's not much online for the 6mm Rem.... would you know where to safely start for the loads ? Alliant website lists the .243W with a 100gr pill and gives 47.1grain. Would that be a safe load to start in the 6mm Rem? Anyone knows more? thanks Stef.

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
810 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2017 :  23:51:54  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
47 gr would certainly be a safe load to start.

With 100 grainers in the 6mm Rem my guess is around 51 gr would be a safe max.

My guess is based on the fact that RL-25 and RL-26 have near the same Max charge weights in the 243win therefore it be the same in the 6mm Rem. and I ran the #'s in QL for RL-25 with 100gr Sierra SPBT and 95 gr Nos.Bal.Tip. Both showing 51 gr as Max. 2.825" coal

Where did you find RL-26 in Canada ??? I found RL-33 but it dried up very fast and need more for my 300winmag.

Treat that trigger like it’s your first date, not like you’ve been married to it for 20 years.

Edited by - Zero333 on Aug 03 2017 23:54:30
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2017 :  09:25:35  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based on the burn rate of Reloader 26, I doubt that you can cram enough of that powder into the 6mm case to be a dangerous load. Zero333 probably has it right.
Go to Top of Page

herbeapuce
Average Member

Canada
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2017 :  11:09:44  Show Profile Send herbeapuce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
all right, thank you for the numbers. I will play it safe . I also asked budlight. he knows this powder a lot but he's not around these days.
zero333 check your pm.

thanks
stef
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2017 :  10:13:00  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Budlight just had knee surgery on Thursday.
Go to Top of Page

herbeapuce
Average Member

Canada
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2017 :  13:21:47  Show Profile Send herbeapuce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
speedy recovery to Budlight then !
He got back at me today.
stef
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2017 :  16:30:53  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to call him.
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1657 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2017 :  12:29:47  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have to look at the case volume. These are in grains of water.

.243 Winchester (W-W): 52.8 grains

6mm Remington (R-P): 54.6 grains

I have a local avid 40 year shooter of a 26 inch bull barreled 6mm. I shoot a 26 inch rem sps 243 varminter. When we have been out chrono testing the general rule because of the bigger volume of the 6 mm case that it takes 1.6 to 2 grains more powder to get the exact same speed. So you can use 243 reloading data and just add the additional grains. The 6 mm can use additional powder and exceed the 243 velocity, but for minor gains you are decreasing brass and barrel life.

You can use R-26 in any of the larger volume per caliber with the heaviest projectiles.

So if you have a list (lawyer friendly)47.1 and add 2 grains to get 49.1. Then you were talking about 95 grain instead of 100 add another grain. 50 grains would be a good starting point. How close the bullet is seated to the lands has a big effect on pressure.

Slow powders are so much safer because the case is often clear full before you can over pressure the rifle
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2017 :  10:40:33  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy, that is scientific. Ya all need to know Budlight is on some pain meds right now...lol...
Go to Top of Page

herbeapuce
Average Member

Canada
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2017 :  14:47:48  Show Profile Send herbeapuce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you budlight for your help. And I'm also glad that your spirit is high

Now seriously I was able to test some Reloader26 last weekend. I loaded from 48.5 to 51 grain, Bergers 95g Classic hunter, 0.010 off the lands.
my best grouping was with 48.5g(EDITED: Best Grouping was actually with 49g, me bad) Velocity was 3245fps and the extreme spread was very very low. At around 50g the grouping started to open. I didn't shoot the 51g,
A nice little clover, than one flyer (5x). So the grouping ended up being 5/8".
I will experiment more with smaller powder increments and COAL thought, but overall I'm happy with this powder. it has given me the smallest extreme spread to date.

Once again Thank you.
stef

Edited by - herbeapuce on Aug 10 2017 20:13:45
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1657 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  01:15:43  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shastaboat

Boy, that is scientific. Ya all need to know Budlight is on some pain meds right now...lol...

Kind of a sad post. I have owned a few wild cat and Ai type rifles over the years. I also bought the new powders when they first came out. I read all the shooting magazines and how they evaluate the newest products on the market. I understand the burn rate charts and case volume. I understand that the burn rate charts are not always correct. Then new powders are not even on a burn rate chart. Then you have new powders not even tested or listed in any reloading manual.

I have been able to use powders unlisted in any reloading manual with a little bit of thought.

The 6mm rem is a wonderful cal. The only problem was the slower twist of the OEM rifles. It was a varmint gun. The slower twist also makes for less pressure
Go to Top of Page

budlight
Advanced Member

USA
1657 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  01:31:45  Show Profile Send budlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not read your post first. I use cci large rifle primers. I don't use mag rifle primers on less than 80 grain magnums with slow powder.

In my testing of 270's mag primers were worth 1.5 grains of 7828 or retumbo years ago.

.010 is maybe too close try .020 or more

Have you inside and outside neck turned the cases to get the bullet concentric?

Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  10:02:25  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Budlight is definitely a handloader and not just a reloader. There is a difference.
Go to Top of Page

herbeapuce
Average Member

Canada
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  16:48:15  Show Profile Send herbeapuce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by budlight

I use cci large rifle primers. I don't use mag rifle primers on less than 80 grain magnums with slow powder.

.010 is maybe too close try .020 or more

Have you inside and outside neck turned the cases to get the bullet concentric?

-I usually use ccibr2 for none magnum loads, and this is what I used.
- not sure anymore I was at 0.010 off the lands as last night I made the ultimate sacrifice .... I cut open the neck of an old case (with a file (and it was freshly resized)) , put a dab of epoxie inside the neck, slid a Berger 95g inside, and closed the bolt. Half an hour later I pulled out the dummy and it measured 2.892, with a very thin ring at the ogive. ( btw every fricken method I use to measure max coal, I get a different reading...ho well )
-No I did not neck turn the inside or outside. I have never done that . I have the tool but I'm not there yet...
But last night I loaded a few rounds with brand new, never touched Hornady cases. we shall see this weekend. a lot of the brass I usually use, had scratches inside the neck . I beleive the culprit was my Lee case length gauge . it was rough and it needed polishing . done

thanks

Edited by - herbeapuce on Aug 11 2017 16:53:38
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2846 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  20:11:42  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
COAL measurements are OK, but expect variations. This is the reason most folks advise to start 0.020" off the lands....it gives some room for tolerances.

I only use the CBTO (cartridge base to ogive) measurement to seat my bullets because I want to know where I am in relation to bullet jump.

A while back I ruined a brand new case simply because of those tolerances. The three previous cartridges went off like book work, but that next one lost it. The primer fell down into the action when I ejected the case. That is the only time in a long time of reloading that I blew a primer. The case head was 0.004" larger as well. I know this because I measure everything before and after.

When I seat a bullet, I measure the CBTO for each rifle cartridge that I load.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06