Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Bullet
 Big game hunting
 hornady RN 338wm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Riflenuts

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  21:32:44  Show Profile Send Riflenuts a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi everyone
I been reading this forum for some time but just register today . I love this forum I hope it will last a long time .
I'm french speaking but I can read English very good but don't know if my writing is good so I hope you will be able to read me .
Here is a little thing that I would like to here from your guys about ;
I been shooting hornady 180 RN in my 3006 and it shoot like a dream.... but never hunt with it yet
., and den I both 500 hornady RN 250 gn for my 338 wm . planning to hunt black bears amd maybe moose ,. but after,. I herd that was the worse choise for the 338 wm
I like to know what you guys thinks. .. thanks

49willys
Average Member

78 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  20:14:16  Show Profile Send 49willys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only critter ive shot with my 338wm so far is a jack rabbit,250 gr Hornady rn going 2760 fps.about 30 yrds away it blew bunny chunks 20 ft in all directions.
I did shoot several bullets into a pile of damp perlite dust,of the 10 I recovered ,2 had shed thier jackets and 8 mushroomed perfectly.Now,realize that damp perlite is edging toward concrete.I believe in flesh,they would do an excellent job.
That said,I bought Nosler Partitions for elk and bear.I am going to try the hornadys on mule deer if I draw a tag.

Earth first,we'll log the other planets later.
Go to Top of Page

cfvickers
Advanced Member

1893 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  21:33:51  Show Profile Send cfvickers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your writing in english is barely broken, you do well. I believe you are safe with the 250 RN. While some may not think it is ideal, it is most likely better than many of the under 30 caliber options out there and I seriously doubt you will have any problem getting sufficient penetration. I have not killed a bear or moose, but unless you are looking for long range shots, I believe you are good. I would not push them too hard though, just a theory, but I believe they will hold together and penetrate better at close range if your velocity is in the 26-2700 range. If I am wrong someone will say so. Welcome to the site, glad you are here!
Go to Top of Page

Riflenuts

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  12:26:57  Show Profile Send Riflenuts a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thanks cfvickers I'm glad to be here to ...I thing your wright those bullets should be OK sense I don't believe to have a shot beyond 100 yds the woods is very ticks .But I will also use my puma 454 casull should be nice in this ticks wood
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2496 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  07:54:09  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know a Buddy of mine has shot a Big White Deer at 380 yards with a Factory .340 Weatherby 250 grain Hornady Round Nose so they do expand out there a ways. Under a 100 yards they should work great.

Have fun.
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3210 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  18:37:34  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welome. I don't do much with the .338 Win. mag. although I have two that sit on my table at the gun shows. I'm not recoil shy but for some reason those two rifles just flat out hurt. I shoot a Ruger #1 chambered to the ,416 Rigby that had a pitiful piece of 3/8" rubber for a pad and as hard as that gun kicks, it does not hurt me as much at those two .338s.

Here's what I'm thinking. As long as the muzzle velocity is 2800 FPS or less, any decent cup and coe bullet should work just fine. The fastest load in the latest Hornady manual says 73.7 gr. of RL19 will deliver 2700 FPS from a 24" barrel. Sounds to me like those 250 gr. bullets should work just fine.
Now this is not a Hornady bullet and ot a .338 Win. Mag. but I'm thinking it could shed some light on velocity and how sometimes less just might be better.
I was hunting the Kaibab National Forest in Northern Arizona about 20 years ago. The rifle was a Ruger M77 RSI, the full Mannlicher stocked version with 18.5" barrel. Beautiful rifle, fit me like it was apart of my body but had no accuracy. as a matter of fact, I got into it really cheap because the previous owner couldn't get any decent accuracy. Four inches is about what it would do with anything, factory or handload. It took a bit over two years tinkering with loads before I found one that was tolerable. Cartridge was the .308 Win. BTW. Well, it took a somewhat unsuitable powder for the round, the 165 gr. Speer Hot-core and some load juggling but I finally got a load that would do 2550 FPS and put three shots into 1.50" consistantly. For the recod, from a 22" barreled Winchester M70 only did 2610 FPS but is a lot more accurate than the Ruger.
At the deer hunt, I spotted a nice Mule Deer and my laser measure sad 250 yards on the nose. The deer was facing me so I put the shot at the base of the neck and touched off. The bullet hit where aimed and was recovered in a back leg, having broken the leg. The bullet passed though most of the body and apparently veered off a bit to exit then hit the leg. It retained 65 percent of it's original weight.
I would expect that the Hornady bullet in qquestion would most likely perform in a like manner, although being a round nose might open up a bit faster. Frankly, I would have absolutely no qualms using that bullet in the .338 Win. mag. at the ranges you discuss on any Black Bear and probably wouldn't worry if it were a Grizzly bear.
Bon Chance mon ami. get a big one.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page

Riflenuts

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  13:11:36  Show Profile Send Riflenuts a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paul B for posting
I just don't understand when you say the 338wm kick hard.
mind is a tikka m695 24 inch barrel.
Back about 10 years ago I went to the gun store to buy a 338wm the sale men din-not want to sell me the gun . He said I was to small to shoot it.( I'm 5'2 145 bound ) Then i went to another gun store He had this Tikka and he sold it to me
I also have 3006 Browning with the BOSS that kick about like my 308 cal . Now back to the 338 I don't know what wrong with it but it kick no more than my 3006 I herd stories that the 338wm was a bones braking gun ,.. I remember shooting 40 to 50 round before my shoulder get sore ( waiting a few minutes between shot)
about a mouth ago I loaded 50 round of 250rn Hornady but don't know the velocity I don't even remember the load (getting old) I keep all my data in a book but don't have the book with me now.
Right now I'm at my house in Quebec passing time with my son who still going to university ,, But I both a place in N-B for hunting and just build a new house on it and move all my guns thing back there .And Paul B you said get a big one ,,It just happens i got one living near my house in N-B ,I saw him a few time when I was building the house , his very very big for a black bear My neighbor said he was trying to get him he said this is a monster a trophy.
Riflenuts
I going to hunt for him during spring seasons .
Go to Top of Page

Big 4
Average Member

USA
86 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2012 :  23:53:11  Show Profile Send Big 4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure they work OK, but a good premium bullet is good insurance on a big animal and may save you a long tracking job. Thats why I use 210 Nosler partitions or 300 gr. Woodleighs for our Idaho elk, depending where I hunt them, in the sidehills or deep dark timber where no man has gone before! :)
Go to Top of Page

Bobo7mmmag
Advanced Member

2496 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  21:23:25  Show Profile Send Bobo7mmmag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good stock will help reduce the recoil more than one thinks.

Worked some loads up for a Buddy's .340 Weatherby and was surprized by how little it recoiled. Has a lot to do with the Weatherby stock design.
Go to Top of Page

scottd5194
Average Member

USA
96 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  13:49:27  Show Profile Send scottd5194 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good premium bullet is definately needed on moose because they have such huge bones. I had a 180g Hornady blow up on a moose rib! It didn't even damage any internal organs and the moose started to run off so I shot him in the spine. I immediately switched to Nosler Partitions and have had excellent results on moose and brown bear. The only bullet I have recovered was a 250 Partition out of a 338 win mag that traveled through about 6 feet of moose before lodging under the hide. It had a perfect mushroom and killed the moose. I am going to try 275 Swift A Frames next, they are similar to Partitions but bonded and the partition is moved forward a little.
Go to Top of Page

Riflenuts

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  00:10:02  Show Profile Send Riflenuts a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone
Sorry I took so long to reply .I was away from my computer for months . Just want to let you know . I got that Bear Its was not the big one that I was hunting but he was the one hos came at by bates so ,,, I shot him just behind the shoulder and he when off like a jet I tot I missed completely but I found him about 50 feet in the bush 5 minute after completely dead .250 HORNADY RN BULLET 338WM (shot was close about 125 feet)
The bullets passe right through braking ribs and all I could easily passe a can of bears trout the hole from side to side . I did not weight him but the forest Ranger said that hi thing he was about 200 pounds
Go to Top of Page

338User

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  06:55:54  Show Profile Send 338User a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though I haven't used that particular bullet, I was going to say that based on my experience with 225gn Hornady bullets I think the 250gn RN would work as required, but it appears you have proven that anyway. Well done.

338User
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06