Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 Reloading for .380 ACP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eddie2002
Average Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  13:24:33  Show Profile Send Eddie2002 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took the plunge over the weekend and picked up dies, brass, primers a pound of Bullseye and a box of 100 grain fmj bullets for my little Ruger .380 LCP. The dies came with a .3cc powder dipper which according to the charts gives 3 grains for the powder charge. My question is this a safe charge for the 100 grain bullet, the recommended charge on the chart that came with the dies for the 100 grain bullet is 2.9 grains and the charge for a 90 grain bullet goes from 2.9 to 3.1 grains. This is the first time I've tried reloading anything with such a small powder charge, I usually reload for 30-06 and just want to be sure that what looks correct really is correct with this reloading info. My reloading books also shows that this load is within specs. Anybody using this load for a Ruger .380 LCP?
Thanks

Eddie2002
Average Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  14:28:16  Show Profile Send Eddie2002 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just checked the pistol loads section and found an answer to my own question. 100 grain bullets with 3.2 grains of Bullseye is listed as a good reload for the .380 ACP. DUHHHH!!
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5084 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  20:38:27  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eddie,
Do you have any reloading manuals?
Go to Top of Page

Eddie2002
Average Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  09:40:50  Show Profile Send Eddie2002 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've two manuals, a Speer #9 and a Hornaday reloading manual, both are a little old and only have one page per book about the .380 ACP. I just wanted to make sure that the 3 grain load of Bullseye with a 100 gain bullet is safe to use in a smaller pistol like the Ruger LCP. Even though it is a modern firearm I'm still leary of overcharging it because of it's small size. So far everything I have found shows that it is a safe middle power load. I was also wondering if anyone has used this exact load with thier Ruger .380 LCP. Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5084 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  11:57:35  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My best manual is Speer #8. I don't think manuals get old. Most of the powders listed are still available. My Speer #8 shows 3.5 gr. of Bullseye with 90 gr JHP as max. Weigh a dipper scraped flat full of Bullseye. Bet it weighs less than 3 gr. I think that you will be fine up to 3 gr especially if the LEE data sheet shows a 3 grain Bullseye load with the dipper.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie2002
Average Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  12:35:31  Show Profile Send Eddie2002 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy my Speer #9, it has a lot of data on the Arisaka 7.7 Jap round which is what I mainly reload for along with some 30-06. The .380 ACP ammo is getting expensive around here and since all I needed was the dies to start reloading for it I decided to give it a shot.
Go to Top of Page

Preston
Advanced Member

USA
834 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  07:58:31  Show Profile Send Preston a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The worse price increase I've seen is the bullets and primers. I'm starting to reloading the 380 also. That little pistol stays on my hip. I never leave home without it.

"He who carries the field of battle, is he who gets there the firstest with the mostest"

Nathan Bedford Forrest CSA
Go to Top of Page

Eddie2002
Average Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  09:30:56  Show Profile Send Eddie2002 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my CCW permit about a year ago and picked up the Ruger to carry as a pocket pistol. It is with me most of the time I leave the house. Need some more range time with it so reloading the spent brass just makes sense to me. Got to look ahead at what is coming down the pike at us. Whatever regulations get put on ammo sales will also affect reloading components so I've been setting up reloading gear for all the calibers which I own.
I'll reload a couple dozen of the .380 ACP with the 100 grain bullet and 3 grains of Bullseye for the next trip to the range and see how it does. I've pretty much committed to that load by buying the bullets and powder so I'm hoping it works. So far the Ruger eats anything I've fed it so I'm not expecting any problems. I'll give a follow up after hitting the range.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5084 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  10:37:46  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys better start casting your bullets.
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3631 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  12:17:07  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie2002

I got my CCW permit about a year ago and picked up the Ruger to carry as a pocket pistol. It is with me most of the time I leave the house. Need some more range time with it so reloading the spent brass just makes sense to me. Got to look ahead at what is coming down the pike at us. Whatever regulations get put on ammo sales will also affect reloading components so I've been setting up reloading gear for all the calibers which I own.
I'll reload a couple dozen of the .380 ACP with the 100 grain bullet and 3 grains of Bullseye for the next trip to the range and see how it does. I've pretty much committed to that load by buying the bullets and powder so I'm hoping it works. So far the Ruger eats anything I've fed it so I'm not expecting any problems. I'll give a follow up after hitting the range.

Eddie2002,
I have about 2 boxes of 380 ACP brass and will probably have about 2 more if you want. Just send me a PM and we'll haggle out a price.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie2002
Average Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  13:00:40  Show Profile Send Eddie2002 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hockeynick,
PM sent
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Eddie2002
Average Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  10:19:06  Show Profile Send Eddie2002 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a quick range report, the reloads worked great this weekend, no miss fires or problems with feeding the rounds or ejecting the spent brass. The Bulleye seems to be a little dirty but beside that I had no problems with the load. I ran about 100 rounds through the little Ruger LCP .380 and once I figured out it shoots about 6 inches low it was a lot of fun.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06