Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Rifle Reloading
 Big game loads
 .243 win
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DocHolladay
Advanced Member

USA
1241 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  02:16:57  Show Profile Send DocHolladay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tubbs is awesome. I have used it and it worked as advertised. May have to look into the Wheeler product.

98% of us will die at some point in our lives.- Ricky Bobby, Talledega Nights
Go to Top of Page

sebago
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  15:18:58  Show Profile Send sebago a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shastaboat, The last couple of days I have been cleaning the gun and letting it sit with the bore cleaner in it for 12 hours at a wack, what haven't done is turn it 90 degrees. I'll give that a try after I finish this post. The varmit rest may not be as good as sand bags but, it is pretty good and I also locate it in the same place each time I fire. As far as the barrel cooling it has been cold at the range ( 35 degrees and below) and when touching barrel it is cold to the touch.I'll also try some of JB bore paste. I also free floated the barrel the other day for grins and giggles, I don't think that is the problem but, it won't hurt.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  15:39:45  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alex, when you left the wet bore, did you get any green copper fouling out?
Go to Top of Page

sebago
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  06:02:59  Show Profile Send sebago a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has been at least 12 hours now and just ran a patch through it, there is the slightest hint of green. I've just put another wet patch and turned it another 90 degrees.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  19:57:59  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alex, Keep it up and then do the JB's paste bore cleaner?
Go to Top of Page

sebago
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  21:04:16  Show Profile Send sebago a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shastaboat, Rifle is clean as a whistle. Didn't have JB bore paste but, had some rem 40-x and after 10-15 runs back and forth it looked alot shinier.I think what I'm seeing in the barrel are tooling marks from the rifling process. I head to the range tomorrow, hopefully it will be successful. I've also load up a few 80 grain nosler varmit BT's to try.
Alex
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  13:43:10  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are seeing tooling marks then the barrel would certainly be a candidate for bore lapping or fire lapping.
Go to Top of Page

sebago
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  16:22:55  Show Profile Send sebago a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Range outing went great. Both the Hornady 100 gr BTSP and Nosler 80 gr varmit BT shot well under 1".As usual I changed multiple things so, trying to determin which did the most good will be a challenge. I floated the barrel,changed C.O.L. on the 100 gr and cleaned the rifle and ran the rem 40-x thruogh it good. What was interesting was both bullets impacted the same left and right and up and down was 1.5" difference. This will be fine the 100 gr are dead on at 100 yards and the 80's are 1.5" high. In Maine, I would say that most deer are shot at less than 100 yards and I would think the same would be for coyotes. Most of the deer that I have shot would be less than 60 yards (one of the rasons I took up bow hunting).
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  20:30:43  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bet it was the free floating.
Go to Top of Page

southdakbearfan

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  01:29:33  Show Profile Send southdakbearfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shastaboat

I bet it was the free floating.

I would agree with this.
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
3472 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  10:41:51  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who knew?

"Might have to use some copper bore cleaner and get the action bedded or float the barrel."
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3210 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  16:45:16  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the best stuff to remove copper fouling is Sweet's 7.62 solvent but man oh man does it stink. Very strong ammonia smell. You put a patch wet with the stuff and scrub the bore for one minute, let stand for 15 minutes and wipe out. Repeat until patches are no longer blue.
Some bench rest shooters don't bother with solvents, preferring to go with the JB Bore Paste right off the bat.
Firelapping can salvage a rough barrel. My Winchester M70 Featherweight in 7x57 had the foulingest barrel you ever saw. One five shot groups and it was done for for the rest of the day.
It would take three or four hours of scrubbing to get the copper out.
I got the Wheeler kit and using cast bullets well encrusted with the grits went to the ranage and did the deed. The instructions said to shoot ten rounds of each grit, but being fearful of over eroding the throat only shot five rounds of each with a very thorough cleaning of the barrel and chamber between grits. When I got home, another thorough cleaning with Shooter's Choice, then one session with the Sweet's 7.62 with only the very slightest trace of copper showing. A half hour session with the JB Bore Paste finished the job. Now this rifle will shoot literally all day without a massive copper buildup and usually one of two patches with the 7.62 will take care of what fouling there is.
FWIW, for those not ever having used JB Bore Paste. Those black patches are perfectly normal. You can have a brand new totally clean barrel that has never been fired, never oiled and is fresh off the plant's floor and the JB will give you black patches. Take a piece of steel that is as clean as you can get it, put a dab of JB on a patch and rub it on that clean steel. $5 says the patch will turn black.
On barrel cooling. I do most of my load work ups in Tucson's very hot summers. Barrels take foever to cool down. When I shoot, I wait a minimum of two minutes between shots when doing three shot groups. Then, the rifle is set aside and I go to another rifle using the same procedure. I might have five or six rifles to shoot that day and this allows them to at least partially cool down On really super hot days, 110* or higher I also bring a .22 to play with between rifles to get them a bit cooler. I use the .22 to practice my sitting, kneeling and offhand shooting while the guns cool. I usually get to the range at 7 AM when it opens and have shut it down at 5PM more times than I care to count. Much of the time is to allow the barrels to at least cool to the outside air temperature.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06