New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ireload2

USA
286 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  23:56:46  Show Profile Send Ireload2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read what I wrote very carefully.
When the round is fired the case gets shorter.
It only gets longer if you do not know what you are doing.
This may include sizing the case more than necessary.
The only time my cases get longer is when they are FL resized.
Yes I also hunt with with 3 high pressure rounds. My brothers also load for and hunt with some high pressure rounds and the cases do not get longer when fired. That includes 223, 243, 6mm Rem, 25-06, 6.5X55, 270, 7X57, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, 8X57,.338 Win Mag and .358 Win.

quote:
Originally posted by Shastaboat

I finally will agree with Ireload2 on one statement.

Quote: "I will repeat again that the entire community of BPCR shooters work to get rid of that gap at the end of the case so that their soft cast bullets do not expand into that gap and leave a lead ring in the chamber."

Here is the catch. "BPCR" means Black Powder Cast Rifle". We all know that BPCR shoots at a much lower pressure than Jacketed full power hunting rounds. Also he is doing all his shooting at paper targets I presume and is not considering the field conditions that hunters may encounter. Maybe if he fired a few .270 Win at 60K psi or other non Ackley Improved slightly tapered bottleneck cartridge at max velocity, even 30-30 he might experience case stretch.

Edited by - Ireload2 on Jul 12 2017 00:06:30
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9122 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  07:27:11  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also agree that proper sizing die set up will minimize case stretch but not eliminate it. What do some other poster's experience?
Go to Top of Page

Ireload2

USA
286 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  23:18:04  Show Profile Send Ireload2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are totally missing the point.
FL sizing is when the cases get longer.
They get shorter when fired.
If they get shorter when fired then the case mouth will not hit the front end of the chamber mouth when fired.

As I said the extra length is only found after you FL size your cases. If the cases are too long then you are supposed to trim them.

quote:
Originally posted by Shastaboat

I also agree that proper sizing die set up will minimize case stretch but not eliminate it. What do some other poster's experience?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06