Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - May 05 2017 :  23:36:33  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly a .243 Win or 250-3000 Savage or .257 Roberts is even too much cartridge, except that you need a flat shooting cartridge for 300+ yards. For that size deer I'd even suggest a .223/5.56 with 1 in 8" twist barrel and shoot a 65 to 70 gr. bullet. Heck even a 55 gr controlled expansion bullet would knock them down. I guess you have to shoot what you have.
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

29 Posts

Posted - May 06 2017 :  00:09:07  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am aware of that, but here, its just like that - one has to shoot what he has. Getting a permit here is real PITA, and you need to get one for every piece you wish to own. Heck, price for permit is approx. 70% of the average rifle price. I am considering getting some .223 - its way cheaper to reload and shoot. But for now...
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - May 06 2017 :  11:15:17  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UlicniTrkac

I am aware of that, but here, its just like that - one has to shoot what he has. Getting a permit here is real PITA, and you need to get one for every piece you wish to own. Heck, price for permit is approx. 70% of the average rifle price. I am considering getting some .223 - its way cheaper to reload and shoot. But for now...

I thank God I was born in the USA where we are protected by the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution but like everywhere it is a continual struggle and fight to keep those rights. Your grasp of the English language is excellent. What rifle can you acquire in .223?

Also Onandaga does make a good claim for loading cast bullets when supplies are difficult to acquire and expensive. With that new 8x57 barrel you could have a very effective cast rifle for hunting out to 250 yards at much less cost than jacketed bullets. And on those smallish deer, they would do a good job. Think lead wheel weights.
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - May 06 2017 :  12:02:08  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
A 170 gr bullet may not expand.

Looking at the pictures that he posted of his deer, the bullets expanded just fine. And he was using the 200 gr.???
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

29 Posts

Posted - May 06 2017 :  12:05:17  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it was Prvi Partizan, PSP BT 175 grain one. Easiest one to acquire here in 223 is Zastava M85, mini Mauser, with decent barrel.
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9125 Posts

Posted - May 07 2017 :  05:30:20  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You obviously hit bone causing the expansion but on a rib shot you will not see such expansion. Nothing wrong with the Privi ammunition, just heavier than needed. The Zastava M85, Mini Mauser would be a fine weapon in .223 if the twist is 1 in 8" or 1 in 9" allowing heavier bullets to stabilize. If 1 in 10", it may be marginal with the heavies. Can you get heavy 65-70 grain controlled expansion bullets in .224 diameter?
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - May 07 2017 :  09:17:17  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back when I was still using Sierra bullets, I shot 4 whitetail deer with a 175 gr bullet. All 4 were heart/lung shot behind the shoulder. Exit hole averaged 2" all four times. None of them travelled more than 4 steps before they fell, and 3 of those 4 fell in their tracks where they were shot. Distance was from 85 yds to 125 yds. Field dressed weight ranged from 90 lbs to 110 lbs.
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

29 Posts

Posted - May 12 2017 :  17:31:59  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
small update on load development, I think I made the Accubond load even better on 100 meters :D

and Hornady SST gave me this (got it quickly)

Go to Top of Page

Zero333
Advanced Member

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - May 15 2017 :  02:15:40  Show Profile Send Zero333 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a fine shooting rifle.

Keeping things simple when reloading is more than good enough for the vast majority of intended purposes. Especially for hunting ammunition.

If I was in your boots hunting little deer with the 8mm Mauser, I would stick with the accubond and get trajectory data and just have fun practicing field positions.

Treat that trigger like it’s your first date, not like you’ve been married to it for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2017 :  13:46:25  Show Profile Send Tracy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From research I've done in the past 45 years, the average neck clearance on a loaded round in a factory chamber varies between .006" to .008" clearance & sometimes more. Personally, I've yet to see the neck wall thickness of brass of more than .015". Therefore neck turning isn't needed unless perhaps a person is doing some serious neck sizing, such as when using 30-06 brass neck sized for use in a 25-06. In a situation like this neck sizing down that much will significantly increased the wall thickness of the necks. The same will happen using 5.56 brass for use in a 221 Fireball cartridge.
Neck turning on standard brass will insure the neck wall thickness ensures the OD & ID are concentric with each other. Then at least after it has been fire formed in your chamber, it will also be concentric with the body of the brass, giving you a loaded round that has the bullet centered with the bore of your rifle. Full length sizing instead of neck sizing can change this some, depending.
Bench rest shooters have a custom chamber called a "tight-necked chamber such as the one I have on my 22-250. It's a Shilen 22-250 "Select Match" with a .250" neck diameter. Factory ammunition will not fit in this chamber because a .014" neck wall thickness will yield a neck diameter .252". A loaded round for this chamber would need to be at least .003" less & even that could potentially be a problem.
Accuracy is not the primary reason I chose this tight necked chamber. Brass longevity was my primary reason. It's not uncommon amongst competition bench rest shooters get 100 reloads per brass case. However, it's not recommended using tight-necked chambers in hunting rifles. The only hunting I do is for squirrels & only with an air-rifle.
Go to Top of Page

UlicniTrkac

29 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2017 :  17:55:02  Show Profile Send UlicniTrkac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We had some shooting competition few months back, at 500 meters. I was up against the fellas with heavy match rifles, 308s, 6.5x47 lapua etc, expensive rigs etc. I was second on that competition, shooting my hunting rifle with SST load, and using my hunting 3-9 Refield scope. We had 4 series with 10 shots - 40 shots total in 40 minutes with little time to replace the targets, and that was really hard for my thin barrel.
I think most of those guys wanted to trash their rifles after that. But reading the wind was the key, I believe. Now, the score wasnt so great, but I outshot the rest of them. Inspired by that, I am now working on my second rig, dedicated long range rifle, in 8 mm Mauser too - with heavy LW barrel (no contour), 650 mm in length, a bit tighter chamber, appropriate stock, different scope (Falcon 18+ for the moment, I cant purchase SWFA unfortunately since I m not in US) - once I m done with hardware, I ll look for a perfect load for SMK, and try to use it up to 1000 meters. Wish me luck :D
Go to Top of Page

WonderMan4
Advanced Member

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2017 :  22:37:18  Show Profile Send WonderMan4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no doubt that you can do it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06