Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2017 :  23:39:13  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed the nice tight groups you showed us! Whatever the velocity variation, there's no arguing with the accuracy.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!
Go to Top of Page

RaySendero
Advanced Member

USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2017 :  09:26:46  Show Profile Send RaySendero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thx again Kosh.

I'm better at rifle reloads than with pistol.
Even my chrony reads rifle better than short barrel pistol.
Learned that moving the chrony farther away help read these pistol reloads.
Also, will try the powder forward/rear with my Red dot 38Spcl reloads.
So I learned a lot.

PS: I didn't cherry-pick those groups - Those were just the 3 I shot.

Ray
Go to Top of Page

Kosh75287
Advanced Member

USA
796 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2017 :  13:33:10  Show Profile Send Kosh75287 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It never occurred to me that you might have cherry-picked those groups. I know that with a little tinkering, almost any mechanically sound .44 Russian/Special/Magnum revolver can be made to shoot well. You might also consider testing your reloads from a bench at 25 yards, for an assessment of accuracy at longer ranges. Even if the reloads were developed solely for use at 10 yards, you might have stumbled onto a load that does well at extended ranges, also. It is prudent to know how such loads might perform beyond their intended range of use.

I'm the opposite, when it comes to reloading; not-half-bad with pistol and revolver rounds, but still learning on rifle rounds. In both cases, I'm pretty sure it's all in the learning curve.

I predict that the powder forward/rear experiment in .38 Spl. will give far less velocity variance. The charge weights (and volumes) will be less by about 40%, and the usable case volumes will drop about 23%. But even very small drops in usable case volume seem to make fast-burning powders burn better. Not being acquainted with the PPC shooter circles, I'm speaking from hearsay, but 2.8/RedDot/148gr. HBWC seems almost as popular among them as the famous 2.7/BullsEye/148gr. HBWC load.

In .38 Spl, I like 3.0/RedDot/158gr. SWC or RNFP for light target loads, 3.4/RedDot/158gr. SWC/RNFP o approximate factory fodder, and 3.8/RedDot/158 gr. SWC/RNFP to approximate +P. Please check these data against current reloading manuals and follow their guidance. These loads work safely in MY firearm(s), all firearms are different (as we all know). There's also another load of which I am fond, which is hot, hard on .38 Special revolvers, and has never failed to deliver an honest 1000 f/s with a 158gr. projectile from any 2" barreled revolver from which I have shot it. I won't publish that load here, for its use requires all due caution.

Disclaimers aside, I think you'll find that RedDot is a dandy powder for use in .38 Special.

God bless Jeff Cooper

Carpe SCOTCH!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06